Too much horsepower for coyote?

wilkup

Just curious what y'all might consider too much for coyote hunting, if pelt preservation is one of the goal? Right now I shoot a 7mm SS, but haven't shot anything lighter than the Sierra 140gr SBT. I'm wondering if I could use this round and the 110gr Speer HP TNT effectively or if I need something with less gideup behind it.

I think Hannibal from The A Team said it: "Overkill is underrated".

I have shot fox, jackals, and coyotes with whatever I had in my hands at the time. You will most likely split them in two with the 7mmSS. I would choose a FMJ bullet or Sierra HPBT MatchKing to minimize expansion. The 140gr's will work just fine with those bullets and do less damage.

I was thinking along the same lines, recently. I need to do a search on here and a couple other places for experiences using 120gr. varmint bullets from a 7mm Rem Mag on coyotes. Seemed like a pretty flat-shooting, mild load that would be devastating.

I'd go the opposite direction. Plan for an exit and shoot a bullet that won't over expand like a Swift Sirocco. I have shot some coyotes with the 100gr version in my 25-06 and it has done well, exits are small.

Not sure what bullet won't exit a broadside yote from a 7 like that. It will take a lot of critter to absorb that energy with an explosive bullet.

Sierra also makes a 100gr Varmint bullet...

Im also wondering if something frangible would do the job well?

There is really only one way to tell, go blow one in half gun) I've played with some light 110 gr offerings in a 270 WSM and even the 110 TTSX would cut one in half, not to easy on pelts but dang they die in a hurry!!

There is really only one way to tell, go blow one in half gun) I've played with some light 110 gr offerings in a 270 WSM and even the 110 TTSX would cut one in half, not to easy on pelts but dang they die in a hurry!!

I hear you man! Down in Texas, I got a few with the 180gr Berger Hybrids and split them in half... I figured a lighter bullet would be less devastating on the little guys up here.

I'm going to recommend the opposite direction on bullet weight if you're serious about minimizing hide damage. Speed is what explodes fox and coyote hides. Shoot a heavier bullet at reduced speed rather than a lighter bullet at increased velocity, and you should reduce pelt damage. You may have to load them down to 2400fps MV.

The only way to hit a coyote at +3,000 fps without exploding them is 17 cal, 20 cal, and maybe .22 cal lightweight explosive bullets. And only then when the bullets explode inside without exiting.

It's even harder to preserve fox fur. They're so fragile that even with FMJs at 3,000fps out of my .222 Rem, I'd still blow a baseball sized hole out the far side. The hides were still salvageable. I had to learn how to hand sew and stitch them together.

For pelt preservation, about the only way with a 7 is with a heavily constructed bullet, heavy for caliber going relatively slow. Lighter frangible bullets will make a terrible mess. My father loaded up some 110 gr spire points in his 300 win mag (not for pelt preservation) going fast, and shot a coyote at about 75 yards.

Have you seen a prairie dog or ground squirrel get hit by a bullet going over 4000 fps? Because that is the only thing I can compare it to. Spectacular, ABSOLUTELY. easy on pelts?? Ha ha. No. After the 10 foot diameter ball of fur floated away slowly in the breeze, all that was left was two bloody pieces of what used to be a coyote.

What I use for coyotes if I want to save pelts is my 22-250 loaded with either a 40 grain or 35 grain V-Max going 4130 or 4190 fps, respectively. As long as you make solid body hits, they do not exit, and make my rifle a 350-400 yard rail gun. However, If you hit the head, or top/bottom of body, it makes a massive splash wound or turns the head inside out. Very violent. My father used to load the 55 grain Ballistic tip in his 6mm remington going right at 4000 fps, but that seemed to be the limit, as that exited on every coyote he shot, with a minimum of a fist sized exit, usually bigger.

A 7mm anything is not what you would consider pelt friendly... No reason to go over 22 cal for a fur rifle. I generally use a 204 or 223 loaded with either 32 gr or 60 gr V-max. Very fur friendly and extremely deadly at 400 plus yards. I've killed dozens at 300+ and generally bang flops.

It all depends on the distance and shot placement.

My Ruger 96/22 WMR with CCI 40 gr. plastic tipped bullets will likely do it at up to 75 yds. with a head or heart shot.

My 6.5 Creedmoor can do it to 1,000 yards with a 143 gr. Hornady ELD-X hunting round from my Ruger American Predator (Boyd's Classic laminated stock and Timney trigger).

Eric B.

Most of the advice you have received here is from folks who have not shot many coyotes. Go with the heavier bullets & you will be fine. You will have exit holes but they should not be bad unless you hit a big bone. I have killed hundreds of coyotes with the Sierra 100 MK out of a 25-06 Ackley Improved. Very good fur load.
PM me if you would like to talk coyotes & bullets. I will send you my phone#.
Thanks, Kirk

If I was planning to shoot coyotes with a heavy horsepower rig I would also vote for a heavy match type bullet or a good mono. Hit this coyote at 397 twice a couple weeks ago with my .300 win mag and a 180 TTSX. MV is right around 3000. Very manageable damage. The first shot hit the front leg right above the elbow. After he got done spinning the second one went behind the shoulder and exited the offside paunch.

Not my first choice but effective.

Attachments

• coyote 2.jpg
    coyote 2.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 347
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.