This New Forum Is An Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
Sometimes I think there is too much emphasis in our threads on targets and stuff but not enough on how to actually hunt.

I'd like to see more discussion of HOW TO HUNT in this sub-forum. Some examples:

• Here's how I got up on a butte to glass for mule deer...
  • How I stalk deer in their beds
  • Here's how I spot elk at 1,500 yards and then sneak to within 800 yards for my shot
  • In the dark, I walk to my glassing spot from where I later hope to see the deer coming in from the ag fields searching for a bedding spot for the day
  • On my last 3 hunts I found the following technique worked best
  • When we hunt antelope on opening weekend in Wyoming, here's how we do it
  • In the rugged breaks country of NE Montana, here's how we maximize seeing deer before they see us
  • I am always careful not to skyline myself when walking ridges because...
  • I am a whitetail hunter from the mid-west who hunts from a deer stand. How the heck do you hunt them giant mule deer out west?
  • When the winds hit 25 MPH in Wyoming, here's how I change my muley hunt tactics
  • Etc.

Good topic, I hunt KY every year on our family farm. I used to walk all over it looking for buck sign. Now I set up Ameristep blinds customized to my handgun hunting and wait out the deer. Each area is accessable by four wheeler and being a working farm mobile equipment does not spook deer near as much as a human walking around. It seems like a lazy way of hunting but many miles have been walked perfecting these hunting blinds. From these setups I have taken two B&C bucks and several others in the 140-150 class. My son has used this system as well. when hunting out west it has been high vantage points and the majority of the time spent glassing and then a stalk.
here are a couple of the pics from the "farm"
DSCN0529.jpg

DSCN0526.jpg

nmhunter

being a working farm mobile equipment does not spook deer near as much as a human walking around. It seems like a lazy way of hunting but many miles have been walked perfecting these hunting blinds.

Thank you so very much. Sometimes things are so very simple but people just will not believe it.

Need to hunt from a stand?

Here in Texas, with most places being private land, it has gotten quite expensive to hunt deer. As such, many times you have to place more hunters on a specific piece of property than you would normally want to in order to minimize the cost per hunter. Since not all of the property is usually the best/optimum hunting spots, hunters are also forced to hunt closer together in the prime parts of the property. This has lead to the common style of hunting from a blind.

I think most hunters here in Texas are jealous of the open public lands out west where a person can still hunt or glass from ridges across a valley. As for hunting from blinds here in Texas, it also has forced many of the blinds to be elevated. This is do to the need to see into the short brush of many places here and is also a safety feature. When hunting a crowded property an elevated stand means that the hunter is shooting into the ground and not at the horizon and this allows hunters to be closer to each other in prime areas.

I have long wanted to go back to still hunting for deer here in Texas, but on most leases, during peek hunting times, it is just to dangerous to walk around and wonder into someones shooting lanes.

O for the good old days.

Status
Not open for further replies.