The dead backyard fawn.

Hugnot

Early this PM, I saw a dead fawn near the fence in our backyard. Real bad smoke in air and busy sched got me involved with other stuff. Wifey had a busy day planned for me as our Pastor & wife were going to be this PM's dinner guests. I was detailed to many house chores & dinner prep - we had salmon fillets and other uncommon items. I looked out & saw the dead fawn - it had been there overnight. The fawn's belly had been tipped open & ribs exposed. The skin and flesh of the right rear leg were exposed & skin hung from the leg. My guess is that some predator trapped the fawn in the corner of the fenced yard , killed the fawn and started ripping open the belly to get at the guts. The liver, stomach & intestines were intact but completely exposed. As mentioned,the skin was completely torn off the rear right leg. Massive injuries but nothing consumed.

I have never seen any coyotes around the house. Some time ago a nearby garbage cart had been opened & many heavy items scattered around cart. Big white plastic garbage bags loaded with heavy trash like magazines, bottles, jars, and metal trash mixed with food were lifted out of cart and dumped on ground feet away.

Could a black bear have killed the fawn & been spooked off by some human activity before eating the fawn? I will check along fence line looking for more signs - like hair caught on fence & other.

May sound freaky, but look for contusions and internal damage, may have been hit by a car.
My favorite cat was hit by car, and he crawled home to my back yard where he died. Belly was split wide open, some skin torn from the body but nothing consumed.
It looked like an animal sacrifice to me, so I had my vet do an autopsy. It was just HBC.

It is very possible the fawn was hit by a car on road then went into back yard. I will check for blood on road. If the fawn was dragged it could have torn skin off leg. Sounds most likely.

About 5 years ago MT fish and feathers pulled a black bear cub from a tree about 1 mile from our house.