The 5 stages of hunter development ; Becoming a true sportsman

KYHILLJACK

What stage are you in ?
1) Shooting stage ; The priority is getting off a shot, rather than patiently waiting for a good shot.
2) Limiting-out stage ; Success is determined by bagging the limit. In extreme cases, this need to limit out also can cause hunters to take unsafe shots.
3) Trophy stage ; The hunter is selective and judges success by quality rather than quantity. Typically, the focus is on big game.
4) Method stage ; In this stage, the process of hunting becomes the focus. A hunter may still want to limit out but places a higher priority on equipment and how limiting out is accomplished.
5) Sportsman stage ; Success is measured by the total experience—the appreciation of the out-of-doors and the animal being hunted, the process of the hunt, and the companionship of other hunters.

I believe I reached the sportsman stage about 15 years ago. When I go out west to elk hunt harvesting an elk is great but is secondary to the trip and the experience as a whole. Even after a 'tag-soup' year I still enjoy the hunt and can recall every day in the field and all the aspects of the hunt. Hopefully it will be a long time before I enter the 6th stage , old age .

I like that. How about "adding some meat to the freezer" along with number 5. :)
Probably my main objective now. If I don't harvest an elk I come home and try to lay down at least 4 does. Antlers haven't meant much to me in years. No matter how long you boil them they never get tender.

Can it be possible this development is species specific?

For instance, say you have hunted deer for 50 years and have reached the "Sportsmen stage" for deer several years ago. Then you drew your first bighorn sheep permit in your life. Can you be at the "Trophy stage" for this species?

I think it can be. Your thoughts?

ClearCreek

ClearCreek. I do believe that you are spot on. With a once in a lifetime tag why not. It's your one and only chance make the most of it. I also feel sportsman are made kids want to shoot and be successful. Nothing wrong with that just the way it is. To keep their interest they need to be successful. Just my thoughts

I say the the same thing on years that I did not have much success on game. Like this year.

I think the progression of a hunter boils Down to being more patient. I still have all the desire I had as a young hunter just less disappointment if it doesn't go so well. I always very much appreciated the fact that I was able to do it and everything that goes along with it. I never left MT because I could not fathom living anywhere else.

For me it was enjoying the outdoors....then got married and taught the wife to shoot then hunt...then our son came along and needed to be taught to shoot, hunt and appreciate the opportunity to be out there hunting and shooting..not necessarily killing......

If you are putting for sheep tags...you shouldn't even consider shooting something small....if your tag allows any sized critter it's not so hard to kill a sheep....enjoying the opportunity and memory is first..secondly should be killing an adult animal..if even not a trophy by measurement scales....

I say the the same thing on years that I did not have much success on game. Like this year.

I think the progression of a hunter boils Down to being more patient. I still have all the desire I had as a young hunter just less disappointment if it doesn't go so well. I always very much appreciated the fact that I was able to do it and everything that goes along with it. I never left MT because I could not fathom living anywhere else.
Don't get me wrong.....I still strive to harvest the best bucks possible for my hunters, as well as for myself! I'm just not as mad at them as I used to be! The harvest isn't the most important part of the hunt for me anymore! I'd love to hunt Montana some day!

Last edited:
IMG_2608.JPG
IMG_2561.JPG
Definitely in stage five. Hunted Colorado for the first time. Found a great bull, 355 if that matters. Had our FNG, who's half my age shoot him. I chased elk the rest of the week, passed on a couple of small rag horns.
Had a great trip. Booked again for next year.
Came home to Oregon, got my meat bull two weeks later. Don't feel like I missed a thing.
Hunted ducks with my son over the weekend. He got his limit of mallards and woodies. I fired a few shots finishing birds hit but not done. Had a great time.
Give me a rare tag, you bet I'll work hard to fill it with a good representative "trophy" regardless it'll be a good trip I'm after.

A cross between 3/5. I love the added challenges of trophy hunting but I don't mind eating tag soup when I don't find what I'm looking for and enjoy the total hunt experience

I love hunting for several reasons. 1 it puts meat in the freezer. 2 it's an amazing experience being out in God's creation. I passed a couple small bucks this year hoping that a bigger one would come along but at this point it's late enough in the season and I don't have that many in the freezer so I'm gonna shoot what comes along. Maybe a combo of 3, 4, and 5.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.