Testing my Trail Designs Sidewinder wood burner

Litehiker

After Christmas I'll be back country skiing in the Spring Mountains NW off the Las Vegas valley.
I'll be camping around 9.500 ft. to 10,000 ft. but there's still plenty of dead evergreen branches for fuel.

And that's what I like about the Inferno wood burning insert for my Caldera Cone Sidewinder stove.
For melting snow I'll need a lot of fuel for a 4 to 5 day camp. Why not use what Ma Nature provides instead of carrying a half gallon of white gas up the hill in that rarified air? All I need is a ZipLoc bag of Vaseline soaked cotton balls for great tinder.

The Sidewinder is made of Titanium sheet to withstand the extreme heat the Inferno gassifier insert puts out. Ashes from it are almost all white from the high heat.

A "gassifier" stove has a specially vented double wall so it sucks air from below between the inner and outer wall, heats it, and puts it back about 2 inches under the pot bottom to help burn the unburned gasses given off in the initial combustion.

IMHO the Sidewinder and larger Tri-Ti cone stoves are more efficient than the Canadian Bush Buddy gassifier stove due to the way the pot sits down into the supporting exterior cone. Plus the cone stoves will both accept larger (thicker & longer) finger sized sticks than the Bush Buddy, allowing you to attend to other cooking chores for 5 minutes or so. The Bush Buddy needs fed constantly.

I'll post some photos of my stove and other shots of the trip by mid January.

Eric B.

Last edited:
We need pics in action...

I didn't do much research, bought a Ti Goat stove for my SE AK hunt this season. Didn't use it up there but it worked great on my Idaho elk hunt. A little frustrating in that it doesn't burn for more than 2 hours without needing attention.

Country,
Two hours! Heck, that's pretty good for a hot tent collapsable stove. Of course that is much different than my little backpacking Caldera Cone stove which is mainly for cooking.
If you have hardwood like oak you can likely extend your Ti goat stove burn time to 3 hours.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.