temp stability of powder

I had experience with H4350 in a Ruger M77 .30-06 that I worked up some loads for. It gave excellent results. My next load development will involve H4350 in my 7mm Mauser. I have some loads for the rifle worked up with IMR 4064 and W760. Neither have proven to be really stable with time and temperature. W760 came closest to matching Norma velocity with a Nosler 150 grain Partition, and IMR 4064 beat Norma accuracy (with a Hornady 162 A-Max, which isn't a fair comparison). FWIW, old Norma ammo from 1984 is still the standard I load against in my 7mm Mauser. None of my handloads have been able to equal its velocity, but I have slightly beat its accuracy....at a certain temperature. Nosler 150 grain Ballistic Tips and H4350 are what I hope will beat the Norma factory loads of 150 grain Spitzer bullets in both velocity and accuracy. Of course, you can't use modern lawyer load manual data when trying to beat Norma factory ammo from 1984 for a 7mm Mauser. This particular Norma load isn't even offered anymore, so I was fortunate to stumble upon a stash of it that the owner sold at a VERY reasonable price, being that he is 86 years old and retiring from gunsmithing. The 7mm Mauser is his favorite cartridge, and he was a custom rifle builder that has shot just about everything. Did Karamojo Bell just give two thumbs up from the grave???

Also, I might add that the temperature stability of the shooter needs to be added into the mix. If you aren't comfortable, the overall rifle/ammo/shooter accuracy is affected. I bought some LL Bean Merino wool underwear, and the synthetic Thermax underwear I wore for years has been relegated to the old rag bin. Paying $120 for longjohns may make you cry, but you will only cry once. That's a bargain basement price for what others charge for similar quality. Wool has a thermostatic quality that no synthetic fiber can match, quality Merino wool does not itch at all, and it gives temperature stability to the shooter himself. And that's where accuracy begins.

I remember when I was in Russia, and a Russian woman told me how they tried our modern western synthetic fabrics, but they got tired of freezing and just went back to using wool, furs, and leathers for winter clothing.

Lesson learned: take care of yourself first, then worry about the technical rifle/ammo BS that most people here ponder over to absurdity.

Take a look at the top military sniper list, and see how about 98% of the top 100 were Russians. They had equipment that was effective, not fancy. Go for effective over fancy and you will do OK. This means that if you have a large collection of articles from modern gunwriters, you don't need to buy toilet paper for quite some time.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.