tag team turkey hunting

deaner 20

anyone on here tag team hunt turks ,im just starting into turkey hunting and was just looking for some insite for tag team turkey hunting .thank you

I don't always get to hunt with someone else, but When I can i have more fun and the end results are sometimes better.

When hunting Turkeys with a partner, one calls and the other shoots. This keeps more focus on the shot and minimizes the movement by either person.

If multiple birds come in, then the caller can back up the shooter and/or harvest more than one bird If desired.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
I usually get my first bird in the first day or so of the 3 week season. Then I"ll go with others to call for them, and give them a hand. Calling a Big Bird for a youngster and watching him/her make the shot we've practiced is awesome. I've called many "first turkeys" for kids and adults and some of their seconds an thirds. A blind is very helpful for youngsters. A lot of the time I think I'm more pumped up than the shooter. I never carry my gun when I'm with kids as I want to devote all my attention to the turkey and only one gun-the young persons. Lots of gobblers have fallen to my loaner (my kid out grew 20 yrs ago)870 20ga, turkey choke, and 3" #6's. When hunting with adults we'll decide who shoots first (if it's in second week of season when I'm allowed a second tom.) If two shooters show up--the guy on the right takes bird on the right and visa versa. One morning I called 4 different gobblers in for different hunters in 2hrs. Hunting with others is fun and can often lead to new areas to hunt.

I used guide turkey hunts with my dad just outside of Del Rio Texas. So I'm used to not carrying a gun when hunting with someone. I also very seldom hunt alone.

This year is the first lease that I've been on in some time so I wanted to take my dad who just turned 80yo. We learned to turkey hunt together and he had nearly quite shooting turkeys years ago. He just liked to call them in.

Anyway between him and taking my wife to shoot her first turkey I have only carried my shotgun (I've also become the gun barer for both) two hunts this year so far.

In 10 hunts my shooters are 0 for 4 on true opportunities so they can still miss even if they don't have to worry about calling. LOL

We also don't use decoys...personally hate them. We never used them guiding either. My dad and I had very high success rates without them on our guided hunts. One of our guides used one but his success rate was lower than either my dad or me. Be a better hunter and you won' need that crutch!

Oh...my two solo hunts?

2 for 2

Love to buddy up, especially if birds are hanging up in heavy cover with limited visibility. One guy can drop back 30-40 yards call and fool the Tom into thinking the hen is leaving and get him to come in those last few yards to be in range. A lot more fun with a hunting partner, much more if one is a child and your successful.

No offence CaptnC, but I absolutely LOVE using hen decoys. My one sons first turkey hunt ever on opening day three years ago I called in no less than 5 big Toms off the roost to my 3 hen decoys and for over 30 minuets he was treated to a fantastic show of mature Toms, strutting with full fans displayed, countless dozens of gobbles and double gobbles all done while displaying for my decoys.

My other son had a similar experience with his first hunt four years ago and my decoys only it was only two big toms not five. Both are now committed life long hunters.

I strongly doubt either event would've happened if I had not been using decoys. As a matter of fact I had Toms do this many times on past hunts before I ever got married let alone had sons and it was these previous experiences of Toms displaying for my decoys I made sure to use them when taking my sons hunting, especially roosted birds.

Last edited:
upload_2019-2-16_8-46-40.png

Always more fun with others

I once killed a gobbler was while hunting with four other friends. I was calling and filming the hunt until he was ast 30 yards and I realized no one had a shot. I am still not sure how he got past all four of them. Lol. It was a great hunt for all of us

Thanks

Buck

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.