TAC 15/15i Basic Unpublished Information

Hi OkieBowie,
You are absolutely correct about the need to align the spines correctly to the nocks you're using. Having access to a good electronic grain scale that will weigh your arrows to at least the 100th column (00.00) is also equally as important.

As Konrad pointed out, maintaining weight consistency between your heaviest and lightest shaft is very important for consistency in long range shooting.

My belief is that most people have a local archery shop that owns or sells arrow spine testers and always has electronic scales. In many cases these local shops are willing to allow their customers to either use the spine tester or most of them will charge a small fee to mark the spines for you, if you provide them with the shafts already taken apart, stripped and cleaned.

It's hard for me to make a hard, fast statement about that because as we know, every shop owner has his own policy's about what they will and won't do, but with a little searching around it shouldn't be to hard to find a reputable shop that will either do it for you or lend you theirs while your in the shop.

The Fletching jig is a different story. In this country Bitzenburger is the 1000 pound Gorilla due to the length of time they've been around and until these new vices were produced the Bitzenburger was thought to be the best we had.

As a manufacture could you imagine having to buy a couple hundred of Dorge's Jigs. The investment would be multiple times what they are currently spending and in the end the manufacture wouldn't benefit financially at all.

This is why accuracy amongst shooters of bows, xbows, rifles or even handguns has always been a very low volume endeavor that is pursued by only a small percentage of the shooting population.

I'm sorry to hear about the illness in your family and hope for a speedy recovery for whomever is not well. When things like that occur the toys need to be put aside for better times.

I'm sure I speak for everybody on this forum when I say that as fellow archer we are here to help anyone who is interested in the sport. When you get back into being able to use any of your equipment, should you have any questions or need any type of help that we can provide, don't hesitate to ask.

Jon

Re: TAC 15/15i Broadhead Accuracy Tips

When firing a crossbow of any type, the arrow will oscillate from right-to-left (horizontally) as it exits the bow.

Upon firing, the arrow does not begin rotation for some 5 to 10 feet and during which time (remember the oscillation is still going on), the blades of your broadhead will "catch" the air and direct the front of the shaft in one direction or another.

Then the fletching begins rotation and shaft stabilization but the shaft is already flying in the wrong direction. It may only be a fraction of a degree but enough to cause a change in point of impact as compared with field points. Field points do not tend to catch air.

The idea is to minimize blade air deflection and give the fletching a chance to provide stabilization.

The primary blades of your broadhead should be set so they are parallel with the ground.

If you are using a four blade head with all blades of equal dimensions, orient one set vertical and one set horizontally. If using a three blade head, place one blade to the right or the left. Regardless all broadhead blades should set the same.

All of this discussion also points to the importance of the arrow being pushed straight up the center during the shot (tuning/center shot).
Also remember that the center of the riser is not necessarily where the bow is applying the most force.
Many times experimentation is the only way to find this true center of pressure (i.e. paper tuning).
In the moment of aiming the gun turns into a dowsers wand and points where the bullet wants to go.

Attachments

• Conservatism.jpg
    Conservatism.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 102
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.