Looking to put together a new surf rig.
Don't want to break the bank.
I like a fast action tip for distance
I like a long casting reel too
I'll be fishing stripers from shore
I'll even buy something used in good condition

PS I have terrible fishing luck.
Thanks for your help.

Don't know where you're fishing, but I've usually used 12 to 14 foot rods with Penn reels on the ocean side and 8 to 10 footers on the Chesapeake bay. Long casts come from practice. Without finesse, it usually ends up with your sinker and rig snapping the line and fishing without you. The overhand cast is okay for short distances, but sling shotting it can get you farther out there. Most of the time, we fished the channel between the beach and the sand bar about 200 yards out, so we didn't need to cast very far. BTW, surf fishing really is an exercise in drinking beer while getting a tan. There are no guarantees that the fish will swim by.

You like casting gear or spinning gear? Budget? What counts as bank busting?

I've been pretty happy with my spinfisher V. I've dunked it in the surf and even cranked it full underwater fighting fish and it's still kicking. (Don't do that on purpose, it's not truly fully sealed)

I've always used spinning gear on shore. My reels are hand me downs from my grand father, but some of them are worth more than all my gear together. Usually, the rod is one that's long enough that just feels good to me. If it has too much spine, you'll miss a lot of light hits. Too little and you'll think every wave is a fish. Part of the reason I go with longer rods, to get the line above the waves.

I don't want to spend more than 150.00 on reel, because I don't think ill be fishing enough to justify spending more.

I got my grandfather's custom rods so I don't think I need a rod. They're about 40 years old. I'm getting them looked at by a custom builder, I can't see them being bad . They didn't get used since the 80s.

I've been pretty happy with my spinfisher V. I've dunked it in the surf and even cranked it full underwater fighting fish and it's still kicking. (Don't do that on purpose, it's not truly fully sealed)

I don't want to spend more than 150.00 on a reel really. I don't think ill fish enough to justify more. I'm good on rods.

In ascending price

Daiwa BG ~ 100
Spinfisher V/VI ~ 150
Slammer III ~ 215

All great reels

Thanks mcmath I'm looking at those online . Trying to get myself to commit and pull the trigger on one. So much info online that it makes me afraid to buy something without thinking I got the wrong reel.

Thanks mcmath I'm looking at those online . Trying to get myself to commit and pull the trigger on one. So much info online that it makes me afraid to buy something without thinking I got the wrong reel.

That's really rough in the fishing industry. Easy to overthink it.

I have multiple Daiwa BGs and they are unreal for the money. The main gear is huge. But they run big for the size. A BG6500 is like a shimano 8k.

I wasn't expecting a ton from my spinfisher, I got it because a friend lost my BG in a storm that went bad and felt bad enough that he brought the SpinfisherV over. It has impressed me.

That's really rough in the fishing industry. Easy to overthink it.

I have multiple Daiwa BGs and they are unreal for the money. The main gear is huge. But they run big for the size. A BG6500 is like a shimano 8k.

I wasn't expecting a ton from my spinfisher, I got it because a friend lost my BG in a storm that went bad and felt bad enough that he brought the SpinfisherV over. It has impressed me.

I tell ya what has my curiosity is the diawa tournament ss reel. It's supposed to be a great reel for distance and reliable. I want to see one in person first. They seem small in the pics. I've read some reviews, from people using them and they like them. But they weren't long term use just recently purchased reviews. My grandfather and I only used diawas in the 70s and I still have them but they don't seem up to the task.
500-1.jpg

I'm really hung up on metal body verses plastic or graphite body and long cast spools. If I find a metal body and long cast spool it's usually out of my price range

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.