Such a thing as too much glass (scope)?

How about us shooters who hold the rifle like they would a BB gun? No need for a "cheek weld". Therefore, there is no big deal using a 56mm scope.
Hold a rifle like a BB gun? I always aimed my BB gun just like I do my rifles. Needed a solid cheek weld there too!
Just my opinion based on my age & experience (78 now) but this new craze of big heavy scopes is just a craze that most will get over as they age because they won't want to carry 10 pound rifles any more! To me - long range is 400 yards and a hunting rifle with scope while fully loaded is 7 pounds maximum!

Hold a rifle like a BB gun? I always aimed my BB gun just like I do my rifles. Needed a solid cheek weld there too!
Just my opinion based on my age & experience (78 now) but this new craze of big heavy scopes is just a craze that most will get over as they age because they won't want to carry 10 pound rifles any more! To me - long range is 400 yards and a hunting rifle with scope while fully loaded is 7 pounds maximum!

The scope on my eight-pound rifle is a March 2 1/2-25X52 (24 ounces). The next rifle will be about the same weight including a 5-50X56 (30 ounces). I started moving up in magnification about 1975-77. It was a Redfield 6-18X. I discovered way back then 6X was too much for woods hunting. I had a Swarovski z5 5-25X52 and that worked okay at 5X.

Last edited: