sub sonic 223 or 308 or 300 ar for pigs and coyotes

geo4061

I found factory sub sonic ammo(atomic) for my 223 and 308 ar's. Is this something I want to pursue? Am I going to have to change springs, gas blocks? I did not have to on my 22lr. I know I will have a POI shift and a considerable loss of bullet expansion. What other problems might I encounter? Is it worth it? So here is the $100 question. Do you get a second shot when using a sub sonic set up before they scatter? I know some manufactures say yes. I want to hear from you guys who have tried it. If not with the 223 or 308 sub sonic perhaps with the 300 Blackout sub sonic. Thanks.

Last edited:
I got my Atomic ammo in today. I did not get lucky with it. It was so weak it would not even move the bolt. You could cycle it yourself but that isn't a lot of fun. Half the rounds I shot were not sub sonic. Therefore, I do not recommend you purchase it even for a bolt gun. I absolutely love shooting my 22lr suppressed sub sonic. It is so much fun that it got me wanting to try a larger caliber. That is why the 223 and 308. These are the ar's I already had. After the experience above I think the only way to go is a dedicated sub sonic rifle, 300 Blackout. Does any one have one? What are your thoughts? Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks for a good read. I knew hunting suppressed sub sonic would be a challenge. That is one of the reasons I want to try it. Small game and varmints up close. Sounds like fun to me. A great way to practice your stalking skills. This is also a great way to get young or new shooters started. Recoil and sound greatly reduced.

I agree on a dedicated rig though. I do have a Remington 700 AAC-SD in 300. My two biggest issues are: factory subs are actually supers for some reason, so I hear the crack. the other is handloaded subs tend to keyhole with Nosler 208s producing perfect silhouettes of the round on paper at 100. I'm still trying to find a happy medium of subsonic and stable.

The one sound that cant be silenced is when the bullet hits a bone!

Every show I've seen when they are using "sub sonic" loads the pigs scatter the second the bullet hits. So follow up shot have not been common. That is just what I've seen on TV...I have real time hands on experience.

I have a long time friend that has his can already and he is telling me that he doesn't feel they will hang around if he gets a shot with his sub sonic loads from his 300BO.

"The can" will never be movie quite...that was over sold by the old gangster movies!

CaptnC thanks for the reply. I thought it was just a sales pitch. You have to shoot at close range because of the ballistics. I would think even the bolt slamming at that range would be too much for those nervous critters.

Like many others, I have not had the results that I wanted from sub sonic ammo. none of it has been accurate.

The only time it was effective was close range and with head shots. Head shots are not always available on Hogs. The ammo was not quite unless shot through an arrester, and then it was still not quite enough not to spook them.

The only way I have found that they would come back for more shots was while using a bow.

Where I hunt hogs, they are hunted Hard and once disturbed they wont return for days, so a solid kill shot is required with the chance of a follow up shot very slim.

An arrester will help quite a standard cartridge to some extent But we still can't rely on second shots so we use a method for killing more than one hog with one shot. set up the feed to align the hogs to our shooting position, and wait until we get more than one hog lined up
And using a more powerful cartridge (Like a 300 rum or 7 STW), we often get 3 or more with one shot.

This is just My experience with ALL sub sonic ammo.

J E CUSTOM

"Not accurate" that pretty much shuts it down even if it was quit enough. "Align the hogs" love it. I know you hold the world record for most hogs killed with one shot. So what's the number now?

"Not accurate" that pretty much shuts it down even if it was quit enough. "Align the hogs" love it. I know you hold the world record for most hogs killed with one shot. So what's the number now?

I even tried all of the 22 long rifle sub sonic ammo in a match quality rifle with bullets up to 60 grains. And beyond 50 yards they were useless for small game.

And I am still at 5 pigs with one shot from an B78 single shot 30/06 and M2 AP ammo. Had to track the last one so I am going to try the 165 grain M2 AP bullet in a 300 rum and about 400 more ft/sec. (That should do it)

Technically I don't hold the record because my younger brother may, as far as I know, with 7 pigs in one shot, but he cheated by shooting a pregnant sow that stowed 6 little pigs for about 100 yards to where we found her. But he still insisted he had topped me. (You know how little brothers are).

It is very simple to do and I encourage all to try it if you Hate pigs as much as I do. All you have to do is pour corn in a straight line with your shooting position and when they find it they will line up pushing and shoving each other side by side, (I guess that's why they are called Pigs) and with very little patience a Nice multiple hog/pig shot will present it's self.

As I said, we normally only get one shot in brush country, so we have to make every shot count. Haven't tried it at nigh yet, so that record is yet to be made.

J E CUSTOM

I have had good luck with the ELEY Edge 22lr black box. They shoot a five shot group at 30 yards that a nickel will cover. Should be a great beginner rifle for the grand kids. Plus a lot of fun squirrel and rabbit hunting. I am about ready to start reloading for my 308 ar that I bought for hogs. What bullet and load?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.