steyr mannlicher

Steyrs have the propensity to make you lie down your custom rigs. The only factory rifle I've seen that will shoot w/or maybe edge the Steyr is the H-S Precision.

I have had a steyr mannlicher varmint in 22.250 for about 10 years, I bought it new. It is fitted with Apel swing off mounts and has been fitted with an assortment of decent scopes from Ziess through to Leupold. It has a VERY long throat, all factory ammo goes to about 3 inches (yes three inches !!) at 100 yards at best. Reloading 55gr BT's just off the lands gets it down to about 1". The UK importers did not want to know stating that it was a stalking rifle and 3" was acceptable. I suspect that the swing off mounts do not help. I am presently toying with converting it to .260Rem for deer stalking.

a friend shooting a prohunter in 7 rm gets his best groups into 3/4 moa with handloads. now he´s changed the stock for a custom laminated and expects better groups.

Probably the worst rifle there is to re barrel, the factory plastic stock always crack and are begging to be relpaced by a McMillan. The stalking rifles are ok as gen purpose hunting rifles, the SSG variants have stringing problems when the barrel heats up(thats why the Dutch Army got rid) I'm not keen on the factory scope mounts., I know a gun collector who has a set of about 6 differnt variants of the SSG, all shoot about 1" maybe a little less with a couple of factory loads.
that all said and done, the things shoot better than and rear locking bolt should.
cheers Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.