Squirrels and Ticks

Waynzee

I sent this letter to the PA. Game Commision in hopes that something would get done. To Whom it concerns: I went squirrel hunting opening day Oct. 14, shot two squirrels and put them in my game pouch then proceeded home with my game thinking of all the good ways to cook them. When I got home I took the squirrels out of the pouch and was ready to clean them. Well to my surprise, the squirrels were covered up in ticks!!!I did not notice the ticks when I first shot them I just picked up the squirrels and put them in the game pouch. So after my wife did a complete tick check of me and I sprayed the squirrels with permethrin in a plastic bag and buried them I decided to write this letter so the PGC can give the public a **** good warning of what is in the woods on our game animals. I have never seen that many ticks on a squirrel in my life and I'm 65 years old and been hunting almost since I was able to walk. I'm going to copy this letter and post it on a few forums other hunters have a right to know just how bad the ticks are in PA.

The two I shot had what I think was mange. Missing patches of fur on their sides.
Was the fur matted around the area where it was missing? It could have been mange. Did you dig a deep hole and bury them? The reason I ask is, if another animal or a hunter's dog comes along and gets into the squirrels they could get mange too.

No it was just missing. Honestly didn't think about burrying them. Probably should have. I didn't notice it until the second one.

No it was just missing. Honestly didn't think about burrying them. Probably should have. I didn't notice it until the second one.
Yeah, anytime you come across something like that and kill it bury it deep, if you kill a rattlesnake and cut it's head off bury it deep. You don't want somebody or a pet to come along and get into anything like that, mange and snake fangs can hold disease and poison for quite a while.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts