SPONSOR PROFILE - Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels - Dan Lilja

Andy Backus

Field Editor
Staff member
Please give me an overview of what your company does and where you are located.We are a manufacturer of rifle barrels located in northwest Montana. Rifle barrels are our only product other than selling Night Force scopes.
M4-3.jpg
How long have you been in business, how did you get started, and who are some of the key members of your operation? The business was started by Dan Lilja in 1985 and he continues to run the day-to-day operations.
goat.jpgdan_elk_09.jpg
Can you describe and give me a brief history of some of your hot products or services? We sell barrels in many calibers. Competitive shooters tend to be trendy and over the years we've been supplying 6mm barrels to the 100 & 200 yard benchrest shooters, big and long barrels to 1000 yard shooters, .22 rimfire shooters have looked to our barrel as the one to beat for many years, we've also had good success with shooters using our barrels in competitive silhouette matches as well as cast bullet shooters. We also make a lot of .50 caliber barrels for the .50 BMG shooters. Barrels we've made have won national competition in all of these shooting disciplines. A few years ago we began offering a drop-in finished AR type barrel and have them available in .204 Ruger, .223, .243 and .308 at this time. Drop-in rimfire barrels are also a hot product for us. We also have supplied thousands of barrels to the US Special Forces primarily to the SEALS but also Rangers and other SF groups.
rimfire_ends.JPG
What are some of your company's future goals? We will most likely add a few cartridges to our AR line of drop-in barrels in the future. We have several hundred special contours that we've turned over the years and have CNC lathe programs for those. We'd like to make available from our website a downloadable .pdf file drawing of each of those soon.

What is your opinion of the future of the long-range hunting and shooting industry? I think it has a great future. The only potential problem area is shooters making unethical decisions about when to take a shot. Each shot fired at long range should only be made if the shooter has a high degree of assurance that he'll make a clean killing shot.

Tell me about your (or some of your team's) personal hunting style, location, species, etc. pretty well covered in our articles section on our website: Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels - Long Range Shooting

What non-hunting and shooting hobbies or activities do you participate in? Other than shooting and hunting my family and I like to fish, ride our horses, snow ski and fly in our Super Cub. We also have enjoyed watching our boys play football and basketball in high school.

How long have you been an active member of LongRangeHunting.com and how have you found LRH to be beneficial to you personally or to your business? Been a supporter since its beginning.

What hunts or other trips are on your bucket list? I sold a Super Cub to an outfitter friend in Alaska and part of the deal is a brown bear hunt on the Alaska peninsula in October of 2011.

Tell me about your family. I've been married to my wife Sally since 1987 and we have three sons. The oldest is in his third year of college and our twins are seniors in high school.
family_09.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts