SPONSOR PROFILE - Cameraland - Doug Paymer

Andy Backus

Field Editor
Staff member
How long have you been in business, how did you get started, and who are some of the key members of your operation?

What started out in 1957 as a small local photo shop has grown into one of the oldest & most knowledgeable Photo Specialty & Sports Optics stores in New York City.

Ed Paymer was the original driving force at Camera Land. Ed's famous line from virtually every store meeting is "The difference between them and us is us." With that as our Mantra, everyone at Camera Land is there to help fill the customers wants and needs with the right product while educating the customer and not just handing a box over the counter, the way most of our competitors do. Our customers become part of the Camera Land family when they come to see us. How many NY stores can you go into and the employees know you by name?

In the Eighties when Joel and Doug Paymer joined Camera Land the expansion continued. Camera Land is now one of the largest Sports Optics dealers in the country under Doug's leadership, carrying Binoculars, Spotting Scopes and Rifle Scopes. Our digital camera and accessory departments have expanded in leaps and bounds under Joel's supervision, as have our acclaimed Frame and Album departments. Camera Land also does expert Custom Framing.

The Digital Imaging center is constantly expanding the offerings to consumers. Mark, Judith and Sara are the ultimate imaging team. There is not a team in the city dedicated to your photo printing needs as these three are. Let them help you print out your digital photos in the best digital print center in NYC.

When it comes to general photography both Neil and Scotty have the answers to all of your questions. Mark and Reggie are experts in every aspect of photography too. They know that the best camera for you is the one that suits your needs the best. With so many choices it gets overwhelming. They are there to assist you in narrowing down the field to the correct piece of equipment to fulfill your individual photographic criteria.

If it's repairs you need then the best in Manhattan is Reggie. Camera Land offers repairs on most photographic equipment as well as binoculars. Our free estimates and expert work have been helping New Yorkers out of jams since 1957.

It's not just about the money. Under Joel's initiation, Camera Land has become a huge supporter of United Cerebral Palsy & Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. We recently had an Olympus/UCP day at the store which raised not only money for UCP but awareness. Camera Land works with the community for many other causes as well.

Can you describe and give me a brief history of some of your hot products?
Digital Cameras put new life into photography a few years ago and ever since the camera side of the business has been very exciting.
In Sports Optics there are constant improvements as well as better glass options at lower prices, which is always a great thing.

What are some of your company's future goals?
Keeping up with all developments, adding a few more Sports Optics lines and as always looking for deals on Close-outs and Show Samples

What new products can we look forward to from your company in the future?
Each year at SHOT Show I have my eyes open looking for quality company's to add to our line. This year we added Trijicon and we are working with Kowa, Carson Optics and Vanguard to possibly add their lines. Last year we added Burris and SureFire Flashlights. Who knows what next year will bring.

What non-hunting and shooting hobbies or activities do you participate in?
Golf & Fishing - I am an avid Salt Water fisherman.
I travel to Alaska once a year for a week long fishing retreat with some buddies.
We regularly fish Hudson Canyon on the East Coast for Tuna, Shark and Swordfish.
I try to get to Central America each year or two for Bill Fish.
Given the opportunity I will either be fishing or playing golf (when the wife is agreeable, of course)

How long have you been an active member of LongRangeHunting.com and how have you found LRH to be beneficial to you personally or to your business?
We have been participating on LRH for a few years now. We have "met" some great folks. I'd like to think that we are a welcome member of the LRH community.

What hunts or other trips are on your bucket list?
I would love to fish the Great Barrier Reef in Australia, Peacock Bass in the Amazon (I have caught a few small ones in Panama, but nothing worth taking pictures of) & Golf at St. Andrews.
I have already crossed Tropic Star Lodge in Panama, Crocodile Bay in Costa Rica, King Salmon on the Kenai in Alaska, Ocean fishing in Alaska (However, I still have not caught a barn door Halibut), Fly Fishing for Silver Salmon in the most beautiful stream in Kodiak Alaska and playing Pebble Beach off of my list.

Tell me about your family.
I've been married for 18 years and we have a 5 year old son and a 12 year old daughter. I get to work with my brother and my father so that is great (most of the time) and I have a fantastic nephew and niece that are like second kids to me. What more can I ask for?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.