Spiral fluted bolt with 7STW OK?

EBOLAVIRS

I am in the process of having a custom action built for a 7STW. The bolts are normally spiral fluted which concerns me with the 7STW being a belted cartridge, don't want the flutes hanging on the belt. Anyone have a STW with spiral fluted bolt? Anyone see any problems if this is done?

Can they skip the flutes on the bottom of the bolt - leave that part flat? I don't know if the flutes will be a problem, but that would eliminate your concern.

NO, we flute lots and lots of bolts on belted magnums and have never had an issue with the belt hanging on the flutes. and Yes, mine is fluted, and heavy deep flutes. We even fluted the bolts on 2 of the 33/378weatherbys we built and those didn't hang up either.

NO, we flute lots and lots of bolts on belted magnums and have never had an issue with the belt hanging on the flutes. and Yes, mine is fluted, and heavy deep flutes. We even fluted the bolts on 2 of the 33/378weatherbys we built and those didn't hang up either.
Go with Ben's answer. No it's not going to cause any issues.

Thanks for clearing that up. Nice to hear it from someone who knows.

I have a spiral fluted bolt on my STW by Kampfeld Customs. He will cut it the whole way around but if you choose will only cut the top part that you see leaving the bottom that runs across the brass untouched so you don't feel it.

As others have stated it really doesn't 'hurt' anything but you do feel a difference as my buddy has a 30 Hart that he had the bolt done the whole way around vs mine which has the bottom that runs across the mag uncut.

Just my $0.02.

Good luck.

Carl cut my mag bolt and left the bottom unfluted. I have not done anything with the action yet, so I really can't speak to how it will work or not. He did ask before he cut it if it was a belted case.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.