Some small brookies and a moose

Rifleman513

My wife and I went camping this weekend and did a little fly fishing. Saturday morning I was getting a fire started when I noticed something in the brush about 300 yards away from our camp. I grabbed my binos and it was a young bull moose. He meandered around in the marshy area around us and came within about 100 yards. The pics of the moose aren't great I just snapped them on my phone. Later we found a good hole with a bunch of brookies in it. We never caught any that had any size to them but they had some really great color.

Attachments

• brook 1.jpg
    brook 1.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 272
  • brook 2.jpg
    brook 2.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 253
  • brook 3.jpg
    brook 3.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 267
  • moose 1.jpg
    moose 1.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 268
  • moose 2.jpg
    moose 2.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 253
  • moose track.jpg
    moose track.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 264
Sometimes it's just about the adventure. Size and how many are a bonus, taking in the Moose was an added bonus. And to tell the truth I would rather have some small native Trout for the frying pan.

As a fly fisherman I have to ask...what fly did you use for the Brookies? Cheers and thanks for the pics.

Sounds like a great trip!
Fly fishing for those small native Brookies in secluded small steams is one of my favorite past times. Here in the Northeast they.are very abundant, but often overlooked. They are truly one of the "jewels" of nature!

I am no fly expert, but for the brooks I normally have good luck with a blue winged olive. I tend to use more dry flies and fish smaller water. I've never been good at fishing the bigger rivers around here.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.