SKB 100 stock crack question

muskieman223

I have acquired a nearly perfect 2-3/4" SKB 100 12 ga, fully engraved beautiful gun, besides for the small 1/8"-1/4" hairline cracks on the sides of the receiver scalloping. You can just feel them with your fingernail and have to look hard to see them, they appear to be along some grain lines.

Anyways, I have read the SKB100s are known for cracking there, my question is are there any easy preventative things I can do to keep them that size and not get any larger?

I have already decided not to shoot any heavy Hi brass, baby magnums through it, I will stick with game loads and maybe medium brass field loads.

Thanks for any help

This is kind of a late reply, but I see no one replied so I'll give it a shot..... I have built a few SxS/OU shotgun stocks from blanks and one thing I always do when building them is bed them...... After the blank is fitted, I gouge out the wood around the back of the tang around the through bolt hole and bed the rear of the tang to the stock. This transfers most of the force of recoil to the wrist of the stock rather than the thin side plates. (Even on none through bolt stock this helps) As time goes on, wood compresses and the through bolt will pull the action into the thin sides putting undue stress on them. The bedding should help avoid this. In your case, I would bed it, and just snug the bolt up until the epoxy drys which should take a bit of the stress off the crack areas.....It also wouldn't hurt to reinforce the cracks from the back side with a thin epoxy or supper glue.
Hope this helps!

I have a 200E that is dearly loved. My dad bought it with a cracked (unusable) stock. He found another one and the gun was fine for years. Then a crack like yours developed, and became worse. I looked everywhere for a new stock. The local gunsmith recommended bedding it (like Ckgworks). It has been fine ever since.

It isnt too late to have a gunsmith or yourself bed that stock and even touch up the outside where the cracks might just be in the finish but even if they arent, glass bedding and keeping the stock bolt tight is what you want...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.