Shortest 6.5 & .30 barrel

TBuckus

Still have 3-4 months to go, but am looking at what rifles I want to set up for suppressed.
Initially I was going to just thread my current hunting rifles for the can, but after reading other posts/ and liking some of my guns just the way they are for different reasons, I'm thinking of just building a couple new hunting rifles just for the can.
One build I'd like to do is a 6.5 CM, trying to keep it light without spending too much. 20" barrel length but maybe 18".
The other would be a 300 win mag that I already have but need a new barrel. 22" barrel length.

Both will share an Ultra7

I don't know if I'm pushing it on short barrel length on these guys so I'm curious to know your guys input. This may be a better post on another sub forum here omitting the suppressor issue, but I thought I'd start here.

Dont have any ideas how a suppressor will help or hender...but our 260rem with rl17 shoots around 2900 without brass problems....16" ruger compact barrel....

I've had 3 6.5x47L barrels at 16.5" running a suppressor with zero issues. Stick to 120-130 class bullets and varget or other fast burning powders. I recall reading in the past about individuals running a 22" 300wm suppressor successfully. Goodluck

I would guess once you start shooting with a can your other rifles will see a lot less action. At first the length with a can on a 24 or 26" barrel bugged me but you will get used to it. If you need or want to keep it compact then go short as you want. If you reload you can run some faster burning powders to get some of the performance back

the can will work on the short barrels just fine. The so-called dangers are based on unburned powder in the can. The danger is it will wear out the can faster and you can still have a flash out the can. You will be just fine with both lengths. I'd get a silencerco big-bore 338 can and never look back. I love it on the 6.5.... it's so quiet. 300 win mag no problem. it's 10''+ if I remember but not heavy. Here are a few photos from my son and I when we went shooting. Note the center rifle. Browning hells canyon 7mm rem with the 338 can. Feels like a 6.5 Creed at the most. Yes, it is long....

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 42
Here I am looking for meat! kids found me so we went hungry LOL 338 silencerco can there. No hearing protection needed.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    329.5 KB · Views: 53
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.