Shooting bullets with moly cleaned off

newmexkid

Possibly have a chance to purchase some Sierra bullets that came moly-coated from the factory. The seller has removed the moly as best he could. I searched the forum and there are many pages on removing the moly. However, I couldn't find anything on these cleaned-up bullets having any effect on accuracy. Seems most folks say the moly isn't completely removed. Would this cause any problems in the barrel? Heck, I've never even held a moly-coated bullet so I know nothing about them. Thanks.

I have a factory rem 700 that never shot great. The best groups I ever got with that rifle was with moly bullets. A lot of barrel manufactures frown on moly, but the science behind it is interesting. I don't buy them anymore, but I'm not scared of them at all. Maybe just clean the barrel on a tighter schedule and let them fly.

HW

I did the moly thing in the 90's. Sierra had some of the best applied moly. Corn Cob alone probably not going to remove much after hours and hours of cleaning. Home molly not waxed and imbedded with steel comes off pretty easy. I would run a small batch with walnut and some BB's to speed up what will be removed. Regardless shoot them or send them my way and I will let you know how I shot them for you. 😂😂😂

I used some IPA, the kind that is to de-ice a frozen gas line..not the kind from the liquor store. That removed the lesser adhered material. Then toss them in the tumbler with 60% corn cob, 40% white rice. It seems to do a very good job. The rice I use gives rise to a whole new thread. If interested give me a shout or search on this site. I can't remember where I got the tip on using a rice blend.

Ever bullet I shoot in every caliber is coated..either Moly or Danzac which I do myself...never had any perceived issues that I read about..all of them shoot fantastic and I would change for any reason..