Sharp Tail Hunting in Idaho

Greg Duerr

Has anyone hunted Sharp Tails in Idaho.............Im considering moving there this summer and was wondering about the Bird hunting out there, like Chukar, Huns, Pheasants and Sharp Tails. Would expect that most of the Huns, Pheasants, and Sharp Tails are on Private Property. Are the Farmers receptive to Hunters

I have seen a lot of sharptail And quite a few mountain grouse on public land out in the salmon area. I'm sure there are good pheasant numbers down on the creeks and river

Has anyone hunted Sharp Tails in Idaho.............Im considering moving there this summer and was wondering about the Bird hunting out there, like Chukar, Huns, Pheasants and Sharp Tails. Would expect that most of the Huns, Pheasants, and Sharp Tails are on Private Property. Are the Farmers receptive to Hunters
Depends where you live. Sharptail hunting has a short season in southeast idaho. They have some pheasants. Some huns and chukers but not much as i understand. Southwest region has pheasants chukers huns and quail and forest grouse. Central is more grouse. My experience is private land is hard to get permission on. A lot of ground is leased or was bought for the purpose of hunting. There is a lot of public ground.

Hey Greg, my absolute favorite thing about fall is the upland game I can shoot while bear & deer hunting. We have a bunch of forest grouse & sharptails here in eastern Idaho. Not too many pheasants though. I jumped a huge flock of sharptails while elk hunting 2 weeks ago.
What part of Idaho are you moving to???
Thanks, Kirk

We have been looking mostly in southern Idaho around Garden Valley area Just want to be located so we can drive back to Reno in a good day, Grandkids are there and we have been talking to our Son and his wife about moving to Idaho They have over 125,000 in equity in there home and could get into more home than they have and have very small house payment or non at all................there looking
My big thing is Chukar and Huns but have hunted Sharpys and really enjoyed it

P1010006.JPG
I hunted grouse and chukars in the Salmon River drainage below Northfork.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.