Scope Selection from 20x to 25x

Inukshuk

Inukjuak, Canadian Eastern Arctic 59 parallel
I've boiled down to a few options and would like as much input as possible. Out of my selection there are only two with mildot which is something I like for ranging. The other options have different methods of ranging which I don't know how to use yet, but still don't think they would be as good as the mildot standard, but I'm all ears.
-Bushnell Elite 4200 Tactical 6-24x50mm 30mm tube Mil-Dot
-Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40mm 1" tube Mil-Dot
-Leupold VX-III 8.5-25x50mm Varmint Hunter reticle
-Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x50mm Varmint Hunter reticle
-Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x40mm Varmint Hunter reticle
-Burris Black Diamond 6-24x50mm Ballistic Mil-Dot
They all have side parallax adjustment.

My set-up would be used for crawling on all fours through rough terrain.

You say you like mildots for ranging so I can't help there . Pdogs usually sit there forever , so a Laser Rangefinder works well . Don't know what varmints you're hunting "way up North " so maybe your Range estimation has to be very quick , and that's why you like Mildots . For small Varmints at long range , I don't like big Dots , and most Mildots have big Dots . I don't even like thick Crosshairs . I have the leupold VH Reticle , but have not used it yet . I like the concept of the VH , or IOR MP-8 , or Nightforce R2 or R1 ,etc for my type of shooting . But you pays your money and takes your pick based on your personally preferences and targets .

I love the MP8 as well and have one. Now you mentioned one thing I didn't think about. The size of Mil-Dots for small 9" targets, might just get in the way. I'll have to check into that. If so then my choice might be the -Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x40mm Varmint Hunter reticle also cause it's smaller.?

I found the same problem wit Mil-Dots on a Varmit rifle, the dots are too big for small Varmits, esp. Crows! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
I like the idea of the Nikon BDC, though I have not tried one, I am afraid the dots are a little big, I think a 1" dot, or one about 1/2 the size would have been better. It seems the lines like a Bal. Plex or a Leo Var. Reticle is better for small Varmits.

I agree with the anti- mildot crowd. I have a VX III 6.5-20 that gets called in for varmints. It is paired with a Leica range finder. I strongly considered the 8-25 but fely that 8 power was a bit strong for the low end in scan mode. 6.5 provides a wider field of view for locating when they are in close and 20 seems good when they are out a way. Most of the time I'm pulling the trigger at less than 20X due to heat anyway. Just $0.02.
~z

#1 - Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x50mm Varmint Hunter reticle
#2 - Burris Black Diamond 6-24x50mm Ballistic Mil-Dot
#3 - Leupold VX-III 8.5-25x50mm Varmint Hunter reticle
#4 - Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x40mm Varmint Hunter reticle
#5 - Nothing Further until you gt to Night Force

Not enough MOA click range in these:

-Bushnell Elite 4200 Tactical 6-24x50mm 30mm tube Mil-Dot
-Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40mm 1" tube Mil-Dot

My .0002 cents worth.
Wolfdawg

-

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.