Sciroccos at 1100 yards

Ian M

I shot at 1100 yards yesterday for several hours with a couple of very good .308's. Optics were a 16x MK4 and NXS 3.5-15, both in Badgers. Loads were 175 gr. Federal Match, 168 gr. Winchester Match and a handload of 44gr. Varget with the 165 gr. Scirocco. Wind was ugly - 15 - 17 mph at 2.00 to 2.30. Ran about 75% hits in the chest area of the steel buffalo target. Shot at a 6" x 12" Shoot n See target and hit it several times.

The 175's clearly handled the wind and distance best. Here are some numbers:
Ammo Elevation Wind
175 Fed. 46 MOA 10
168 Win. 47 MOA 10-12
165 Swift 49 MOA 12-14

If I did my part the rifles were shooting five shots into 15 - 18 inches, sometimes the groups opened to two feet or slightly over. Had some amazing clusters, three touching etc. Good fun.

Dave,
Should have mentioned that - the 175 impacts were pretty much round, as were the 168's. The Sciroccos were slightly oblong, not consitently oriented but not as round as the other bullet impacts. They also made a better sound (Gonnng), at least we could hear them better but the wind was also starting to diminish. **** wind dropped off very quickly, we went from 12 minutes to 6 minutes to 4 in only 15-20 minutes.

Partner mentioned that we should put up the portable target and catch some shots through heavy cardboard to check for key-holing. I have seen some bullet impacts at 1100 that were clearly sideways.

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts