right choke for duck hunting

I typically use a regular Remington modified choke. I purchased an extended range pattern master a few years ago. and found it doesn't pattern any better than a modified choke. So i just stick with the modified.

Good luck.

Justinc68, just so you know PatterMaster and Wad Wizzards are not designed to offer a better pattern on paper. They will look just like any other choke system. However they are designed to shorten the shot string so that more pellets arrive on target at the same time where most chokes are stretching the pattern out longer to get tighter groups. With a moving target you ideally want more pellets at the same time for better kills and less cripples. That is where those two chokes really shine.

I opt for Specialty Waterfowl chokes....the best combination
that I have tested and used is the Hevishot Waterfowl
combo pack....mid and extended range

I think you have to determine what your hunting situation is
For example, are your shots going to normally be at close
range or longer ranges....as I stated I use both a Hevishot
Mid range and Extended Range waterfowl choke and will
change them depending on conditions and hunting
scenarios

Patterning is important to understand how you gun, choke, and brand/size of shell interact. Take a bit of time at the range to get a good feel for combination and it will improve your hunting.

If you have previously patterned with lead,
don't forget to consider that steel shot typically holds a tighter pattern than lead. You would want to use less choke to get a similar pattern.

Patternmaster all the way. From #6 shot on doves to #2 shot on ducks to BB's on geese to T's on snow geese. I don't have to take it out, no fumbling with the right choke tube in the blind in the morning.

What I like about what Hevishot offers in their waterfowl pack is that
you get an extended and mid range choke. So, you can change
chokes depending on your hunting situations and they are very
affordable

Most non waterfowl specific chokes that lost IC, mod, etc. are listed using lead. If using a IC with steel it is actually a mod and a mod a full and so on. That's why a lot of full chokes aren't rated for steel.

With that being said I use quite a bit of aftermarket chokes. If waterfowl is something you're going to be hunting quite a bit they're worth the purchase imo.

Patternmaster makes good chokes. I have the extended range for goose that patterns well at 50 yards and I have their restrictor choke the anaconda for an all around choke. My favorite aftermarket choke however is the Pure Gold chokes. I have the IC and Mod for swamps and open water hunts. The idea behind both brands in addition to what has already been said is the reverse ports slow the wading which can cause a hole in your pattern.

Steel normally patters at least one coke tighter than lead. With steel I use skeet or IC over decoys. Bismuth and tungsten pattern close to lead. Easiest and smartest way is to pattern your chokes and see instead of relying one someone else's gun and load!

Here is the advice I would give a client if I was still Guiding.
3" shells and modified choke will kill a duck as far as 2's are capable of.
3-1/2" shells and LM Ditto, with a slightly larger pattern.
If you want more range you have to use IM choke and bigger shot (#1 or BB) and 3-1/2" shells. Use an extended choke that is NOT ported. Will give you about 10 more yards.
If you want more range still, use IM and Tungsten 2's in your 3-1/2"

Hevishot offers a waterfowl pack with an extended range
choke as well as a mid range choke
which offers a lot of options

A modified choke with work just fine. Depending on if you are shooting close over decoys or pass shooting at longer range would be the deciding factor for me. If you can get out and pattern the chokes with what you want to shoot, that could potentially give you a much better perspective on what you want to utilize.

Ive had really good luck over the years with an old original model Patternmaster on the end of my 3" chambered 870. I rolled my own 4,6s duplex load for ducks and #1s for Geese.