Retirement gift

Abolt

We have a guy that has worked for us in sales for the last 27 years, he's now 70 and retiring. Trying to come up with a gift for him and thought about a rifle. I've thought about a Remington 700 BDL or CDL or a browning a-bolt or X-bolt.

Calibers I've thought of are:
7mm-08
30-06

Also thinking of having the floor plate laser engraved.

Anybody see anything wrong with this or have ideas or suggestions?

His biggest hobby for the last 50 years has been work, he now fishes some with his son and grandsons and has always deer hunted with them also.

We thought about sending him and his wife on a trip somewhere but for the last year or so her health has been up and down and thought a trip might turn into a burden for him.

Well, sounds like you are on the right track and he is lucky to have worked with folks like you. I would check with his sons to see what he would like in a rifle. And the engraving, I think would be a must. :)

Plus -- If I were 70 and hunting whitetails in Arkansas, I might think a 6.5 Creedmoor would be pretty cool. Same as the 260. It's just all the rage these days and factory ammo for it is low priced, accurate, and plentiful. Not so much for the 260. If he's a serious handloader, the 260 would then be it.

Well, sounds like you are on the right track and he is lucky to have worked with folks like you. I would check with his sons to see what he would like in a rifle. And the engraving, I think would be a must. :)

Plus -- If I were 70 and hunting whitetails in Arkansas, I might think a 6.5 Creedmoor would be pretty cool. Same as the 260. It's just all the rage these days and factory ammo for it is low priced, accurate, and plentiful. Not so much for the 260. If he's a serious handloader, the 260 would then be it.

Good advice. With more time on his hands, he might get into shooting a bit more. A rifle chambered for something like the 6.5, easy to make more shots in an outing, and barrel life is good.

A variety of styles available, nailing that down a bit and you're almost there.

After talking with some of the 30+ year employee's that knew him best decided to go ahead with the rifle. Ordered a X-bolt medallion in 308. Should be in this Thursday and then off to the laser engraver. June 30th should be a good day for him. Thanks for the help!

After talking with some of the 30+ year employee's that knew him best decided to go ahead with the rifle. Ordered a X-bolt medallion in 308. Should be in this Thursday and then off to the laser engraver. June 30th should be a good day for him. Thanks for the help!

Hopefully this isn't the time you learn that the vast majority of gunsmiths never really get the firearms back to you in time. I've learned to x2 or x3 and that will be the actual time it takes them to do the work.

If you take it to a different place to have the engraving done like a Trophy business, etc... Hopefully they also have a FFL. And if not, well... :D

Sounds like a lucky guy to have you all for his coworkers. I'm sure he is going to love it!

Hopefully this isn't the time you learn that the vast majority of gunsmiths never really get the firearms back to you in time. I've learned to x2 or x3 and that will be the actual time it takes them to do the work.

If you take it to a different place to have the engraving done like a Trophy business, etc... Hopefully they also have a FFL. And if not, well... :D

Sounds like a lucky guy to have you all for his coworkers. I'm sure he is going to love it!

I've ordered several guns from this gun store in the past, he's almost always right with the time frame.

My hunting buddy makes turkey calls and uses this shop for laser engraving. Going to set it up where I drive over and wait for it to be done so I don't have to make two trips.

Picked up the rifle today, now off to the engraver!

image_zpszxlstjqq.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.