Remington 700 3006 rebarrel (what other calibers?)

Bigeclipse

I am looking to rebarrel a Remington Mountain SS which has a pencil thin barrel. I am looking to only go to a regular sporter contour as I am using the same stock and it will only have enough material to allow me to throw a sporter contour in, (nothing larger). this will likely be converted into a remage rifle using the savage barrel nut. I may keep it as a 3006 but wanted to find out what other calibers I can put in the action using the same bolt and drop floor plate style internal magazine (basically I do not want to have to buy anything other than the barrel and remage kit). I hunt deer and black bear but 99% is deer, out to 350 yards. thanks!

Keep the 30-06. It will do everything you want at the ranges you shoot, plus more. It's such a versatile cartridge, plus you can find ammo for it anywhere. The '06 was my first big game cartridge, and I own a bunch of different calibers now, but I find myself going back to the tried and true 30-06 more and more. It's a killing machine. I think everyone should have a 30-06 in their safe.

Keep the 30-06. It will do everything you want at the ranges you shoot, plus more. It's such a versatile cartridge, plus you can find ammo for it anywhere. The '06 was my first big game cartridge, and I own a bunch of different calibers now, but I find myself going back to the tried and true 30-06 more and more. It's a killing machine. I think everyone should have a 30-06 in their safe.
Thanks. Now to determine which barrel maker to go to for a remage barrel

Last edited:
There are a number of exciting caliber choices that will fit your application. I am partial to the 270 Winchester but the 280ai is very popular with long range shooters today. The 6.5-284 will also work and is a very impressive caliber. If you don't want to buy different Reloading supplies you will have to go with factory ammo and the 6.5-284 has very few factory offerings. The 280ai slightly more and the 270 has lots of factory ammo. You could also pick a short action caliber like a 308, 260, 243, even a 6.5 creedmoor will all work with your action without alteration. If you only shoot whitetail and black bear at 350yds or less all these calibers will work. (I wouldn't use the 243 for bears though) I like to have as little recoil as possible for whatever the application. There are only a couple ways to achieve this, shoot a lighter bullet, shoot the same bullet slower or use a muzzle brake. I'd pick a lower recoiling caliber than the 30-06 or if you do go with the 06 I would put a muzzle brake on it.

I am looking to rebarrel a Remington Mountain SS which has a pencil thin barrel. I am looking to only go to a regular sporter contour as I am using the same stock and it will only have enough material to allow me to throw a sporter contour in, (nothing larger). this will likely be converted into a remage rifle using the savage barrel nut. I may keep it as a 3006 but wanted to find out what other calibers I can put in the action using the same bolt and drop floor plate style internal magazine (basically I do not want to have to buy anything other than the barrel and remage kit). I hunt deer and black bear but 99% is deer, out to 350 yards. thanks!
What other caliber options? You literally have hundreds of options if you include wildcats and Ackley Improved cartridges...

I would go with a magnum sporter contour barrel at minimum to avoid as much "whip" as possible, maybe something around a Bartlein 3B Fluted would be idea for your scenario. Still light, but strong.

If you handload, and want to stick with .30 caliber, then I highly recommend building a .300 Sherman. No modifications will be needed for your rifle, other than a new barrel. It is very similar to the .30-06, but WAY better ballistics and velocity. Rich Sherman sells dies, reamers, and might even sell you a pre-fit Remage style barrel for your rifle already chambered in .300 Sherman, and all you'll need is a set of dies, and set of headspace gauges.

https://shermanwildcatcartridges.com/300-sherman

You can buy dies and stuff here...

https://shermanwildcatcartridges.com/online-store?olsPage=t/300-sherman-la

If you are looking for factory ammo, go .280 AI. Nosler makes factory ammo for it, and sells factory brass.

There's a slew of excellent calibre choices being offered here.
I've got a leaning towards old/older mil calibres.
IMHO - stay with the '06 if you're really comfortable with it. 308 will approximate '06 performance with the right powder/bullet combo.
If you're looking for something different - lighter rifle/less recoil/just as accurate to similar distances - the 6.5 x 55 Swede has a good following here in New Zealand. The Europeans have taken moose with the right bullet DRT.
Your action might need the bolt face opening up, but your 'smith (if you're paying for the rebarrel), should be able to do it easily.
The 700 action is very strong and - with the right ammo combo - won't be too far behind the more modern cartridges, running much higher pressures.
However - it's your decision and there is a lot excellent suggestions that have been made.
My 2c worth.

What other caliber options? You literally have hundreds of options if you include wildcats and Ackley Improved cartridges...

I would go with a magnum sporter contour barrel at minimum to avoid as much "whip" as possible, maybe something around a Bartlein 3B Fluted would be idea for your scenario. Still light, but strong.

If you handload, and want to stick with .30 caliber, then I highly recommend building a .300 Sherman. No modifications will be needed for your rifle, other than a new barrel. It is very similar to the .30-06, but WAY better ballistics and velocity. Rich Sherman sells dies, reamers, and might even sell you a pre-fit Remage style barrel for your rifle already chambered in .300 Sherman, and all you'll need is a set of dies, and set of headspace gauges.

https://shermanwildcatcartridges.com/300-sherman

You can buy dies and stuff here...

https://shermanwildcatcartridges.com/online-store?olsPage=t/300-sherman-la

If you are looking for factory ammo, go .280 AI. Nosler makes factory ammo for it, and sells factory brass.
Thanks for the info but the Remington mountain SS comes in a synthetic stock which has a small fore end since it only needs to carry a pencil tiny barrel even skinnier than a regular sporter barrel. My fear is a magnum contour would require me to remove to much material from the stock making it a weak stock. I know it has the room to route out for a sporter barrel but I don't think it can handle a magnum sporter. I want to keep this a light weight setup anyways.

Why limit your barrel taper choice to the cheap synthetic stock that your rifle came with? I just checked on fleabay and there are many many Remington 700 LA stocks for sale cheap.
And I have a slew of rifles in 30.06: 8-M1 Garands all Manufacturers, 1-1903 Remington, 1-1903A3 Remington. 1-1903A3 Remington and 1-Pre 64 Model 70 Winchester. Nothing wrong with the 30.06
BTL

I have only one piece of advice. Dump the Bell & Carlson that came with your Mountain thereby eliminating all your constraints. That particular stock is a low quality version made to meet Remington's cost requirements. If you are gunna drop the coin for a Custom barrel, then get a quality stock too and then get the barrel contour you want. I like the magnum sporter contours myself. And I have a mountain stock gathering dust in the corner.

Mudrunner nailed it. There's so many options in the 3006 family and the classic will meet all your needs.

If you don't reload then it's really the way to go.

If you reload then the sky's the limit. My choices would be a 280 sherman or AI or the same in 3006. The only one of those that stands out is the 280ai since you can buy factory formed brass for it.

I also agree with selling the b&c. While I think they're a good stock for the money I'm not a fan of pencil thin barrels and you could likely sell that stock and buy another for just a little extra coin. Then install the barrel contour of choice. MR mentioned the Bart 3b. I have one on a 22-250ai and love it. I Feel it's an excellent compromise between really thin and the heavy varmint barrels.

I am in agreement with Doug. I would re-chamber it in a 3006 spr. I couldn't go without my 06. After its re-barreled put a trigger tech special in it.

Triggertech Special thumbs up! Very nice trigger. Puts the stock Remington to shame.

Another kick at the stock. I'm not at all sure that the B&C Mountain Stock can handle being opened up to clear a remage barrel nut.......

280 Ackley Improved would be a good option.

I'd also take a look at the BugNut version on bugholes.com. Give a bigger shank than typical remage/savage setups.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.