Remembering D-Day

My father was there also but would never talk about what they saw and did.The only time i can remember the tv was on a movie when the soldiers were wading towards the beach and he was walking by stoped looked at the tv and said thats similar to how it was.I also was left a flag and a box of medals one being a bronze star which i look at and wonder!
So many of those guys wouldn't talk about it. We did once get our dads talking about their time there, comparing notes on a phone call as we listened like silent mice on another extension. Many stories we had never heard. With some help in the archives, you might be able to follow down that Bronze Star to see if there is a record on how he earned it. He did something really noteworthy as they didn't hand out those medals like candy back then. It might require help from a military historian to get there. My nephew, in that field of work was able to follow up documentation on Dad's Silver Star. There were so many real heroes back then, and most of them never felt they were anything but ordinary.

My mother had an old newspaper article referring to story behind the Bronze Star, but it was misplaced when she passed.I remember seeing it when i was younger and your correct it had to do whith his hole group being pinned down in a field in fox holes where there had been battles for a farmhouse before.My fathers best freind next to him and the mortor hit on his side and well you know what that meant! So rather than lay there and let every die he charged the house and lets say defeated them.He was shot several times but survived.

My mother had an old newspaper article referring to story behind the Bronze Star, but it was misplaced when she passed.I remember seeing it when i was younger and your correct it had to do whith his hole group being pinned down in a field in fox holes where there had been battles for a farmhouse before.My fathers best freind next to him and the mortor hit on his side and well you know what that meant! So rather than lay there and let every die he charged the house and lets say defeated them.He was shot several times but survived.
Surprised he didn't get more than a Bronze Star for that kind of bravery!! Wow!

My Great Uncle was a paratrooper with the 82nd Airborne. during WWII.
He never spoke of his experiences to the family other than his sister (my grandmother).
She had one of those old large hat boxes filled with letters he sent between battles on his deployment.
The stories she told me about his experiences there were of the absolutely incredible tenacity of the American soldiers and it would bring tears to my eyes every time I thought about it... even today as I write this.

He had drops throughout the American involvement in the war in just about every country that held major battlefronts from the North African countries on into Europe.
He was dropped in Normandy behind the Utah Beach German lines to fight off advancements of other German divisions during the Omaha and Utah Beach invasion.
After battle, they had long walks/rides to the nearest pick-up spot to regroup, reload and hit the next drop!
His last was in Belgium for the Battle of the Bulge.

These men were unbelievable!

My deepest respect and gratitude for those men who serve or have served to keep us safe!!

THANK YOU ALL!!
The Germans referred to the American airborne troops as " Devils in baggy pants ".

Yeah, its a somber day. It's tragic that America (and Europe) lost WWII
The sad thing is, with the state of public education in this country, you could probably find some high school students who 1. Wouldn`t really be sure who did win WWII or 2. Would seriously agree with your statement.

So many of those guys wouldn't talk about it. We did once get our dads talking about their time there, comparing notes on a phone call as we listened like silent mice on another extension. Many stories we had never heard. With some help in the archives, you might be able to follow down that Bronze Star to see if there is a record on how he earned it. He did something really noteworthy as they didn't hand out those medals like candy back then. It might require help from a military historian to get there. My nephew, in that field of work was able to follow up documentation on Dad's Silver Star. There were so many real heroes back then, and most of them never felt they were anything but ordinary.
Uncommon valor was a common virtue.

I became very good friends with Jake McNiece, he was a great person.
Sitting down with him just talking about our time was incredible and something I will never forget.
I was friends with another 506th paratrooper who was in Bastogne and when we all got together the stories they told were incredible.

Last edited:
The glider soldiers were either suicidal or baddest on planet. They knew they would be extremely lucky to even walk away on ground. Plus flying in behind enemy lines landing a cardboard "aircraft " IN THE DARK that you make for your kids to play in from fridge delivery.
Man those gliders were death traps! Knowing you were the first ones to be on the ground and behind enemy lines, and then had to hold a bridge. IF you survived the crash landing….

Man those gliders were death traps! Knowing you were the first ones to be on the ground and behind enemy lines, and then had to hold a bridge. IF you survived the crash landing….
The job those British glider pilots did at Pegasus Bridge was nothing short of phenomenal. Great airmanship.