Rem 700 with M16 extractor

JimFromTN

I bought a new rem 700 tactical in 308. I took it out and was having feeding issues. The bolt would not close. I determined that the issue was the extractor. The lip of the brass was not going up under the extractor. I paid $40 for a part that should have been about 5 cents. I installed it and it was allot better but every other shot or so I would have to pull the bot back a little and push it back to get the cartridge to seat. I sent the bolt off and had a M16 extractor installed. Works great for loading but not it does not eject. It gets hung. I have a couple other ejector springs that I am going to try next. LRI installs dual ejectors. They say there is a known issue ejection after a M14 extractor is installed on a rem 700. At this point, I don't know whether to send it in to them, buy a new bolt, or throw the whole thing on a raging bon fire. Has anyone heard of this issue?

20240829_100700.jpg

I tried a different bolt in the rifle from another rem 700 308 and it did the same thing. I tried 2 different brands of brass that worked previously with both bolts.

I did put the bolt in the other rem 700 and it failed to eject but did not get stuck like the picture above. The other bolt works fine in that rifle.

Is there something with the action that could be causing it to get hung? The bolt definitely has ejection issues but it seems like I have a couple issues going on.

The problem is that there isn't a competent gunsmith for 100 miles and I really don't want to have to put it in the mail. Lots of people who can build ARs but no real gunsmiths. I did get further. If I work the bolt slowly, it will eject. If I work it fast, it gets hung like in the picture. Its hitting the back of the receiver before it ejects and gets hung in the extractor with the ejector pushing it into the side of the receiver. It didn't do this before the M16 extractor and I have never had this issue on any of my other rem 700s.

Not all M16 extractor are the same, most are very square and sharp. They need the top taken off and rounded smooth so it'll release the case. An M16 install is buttery when properly done with the proper parts without the need for dual electors. Post a pic of the extractor.

I think I figured out why it's getting pinned. It missing a cut in the receiver. The first Pic is of the 700 that is getting pinned. The 2nd pic is of another 700.
1000000908.jpg

700.jpg

Attachments

• 1000000907.jpg
    1000000907.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 22
I bought a new rem 700 tactical in 308. I took it out and was having feeding issues. The bolt would not close. I determined that the issue was the extractor. The lip of the brass was not going up under the extractor. I paid $40 for a part that should have been about 5 cents. I installed it and it was allot better but every other shot or so I would have to pull the bot back a little and push it back to get the cartridge to seat. I sent the bolt off and had a M16 extractor installed. Works great for loading but not it does not eject. It gets hung. I have a couple other ejector springs that I am going to try next. LRI installs dual ejectors. They say there is a known issue ejection after a M14 extractor is installed on a rem 700. At this point, I don't know whether to send it in to them, buy a new bolt, or throw the whole thing on a raging bon fire. Has anyone heard of this issue?

View attachment 597957

What I see as a potential problem, unless it was caused by something else. The bullet ogive appears to be jammed into the lands.

If you take the bolt out of the reciever and place a cartridge under the Extractor and against the bolt face, then slowly allow the Ejector to push the cartridge to the side, when the rim of the case by the Ejector clears the bolt recess, does the Ejector push it to the side?

Please post a picture of the Ejector too.

The back port cut in the action is generally done on magnum actions because they won't clear the front port and eject till right at the end of stroke so they need the cut in the port as well as sometimes moving the whole port back but a shorter cartridge should eject well before being at the rear of the port as such they don't have the extra cut. It may also depend on the vintage of action but it seems to be more related to chambering. I've added the cut or just moved the port when lengthening the box.

Last edited:
I will have to check that with a fresh cartridge. That one has been cycled allot.

Maybe, a fresh round you meant a loaded round. If it is a dummy, disregard the input below.

Make a dummy from a resized brass to the same CBTO as that round you chambered a few times. Use the same bullet. Chamber it , see if you have the same issue. If so, push the bullet in another 0.030, see what happens when you chamber it again.

Regardless if this is indeed the issue, always make a dummy for troubleshooting extraction issue without firing the round.

Recent Posts