Rem. 700 SPS-Varmint vs. Savage 12FV in .243

Triggernosis

I'm considering both the Rem. 700 SPS-Varmint and the Savage 12FV (almost identical to the 700 except the barrel is fluted), both in .243 for a long-range rifle.
I plan to probably replace either stock with something else (yet to be determined). The price, including Rem's. current rebate, is within $10 of one another.

From hearsay, I understand that there's more aftermarket parts for the Rem. 700, but that the Savage will likely be more accurate out of the box. Not crazy about the Accu-Trigger on the Savage, but they do feel O.K.. I think the Rem. has some kind or "X-Mark Pro" trigger or something or other. I want to keep costs down, but have a decent rifle, too.

Any opinions?

Good Evening Trigger as far as this one goes I would go with the Remington. I have not seen their new triggers but I will here in a month when I get the SPS Varnmit in 17 Fireball. I have always had great luck with Remingtons and have never strayed from them. All of my FACTORY Remingtons shoot sub 1/2 MOA at 100yds. so I can't complain. I have heard on other forums guys bragging up the Savages but I have no first hand experience with them. I am looking forward to see what others on this forum have to say. Anyways good luck.

Savage! If it dosnt shoot to your likeing or you want a different caliber its a do it you're self deal.If you want a different barrel or caliber for the Reminton you get to pay a smith to do it and wait for him to get around too it.
Ya your gona want to get a different stock(the FV stock sucks for lack of a better word)and their are plenty of choices for the savage too.

031707A.jpg

If your not going to do any work to it and go stock, then go with the Savage. However, if you plan on customizing the rifle, you should buy the Remington. Out of the box, the Savage will probably be the most accurate out of the two. Remington has really lost it's reputation for being the best out of the box rifle for accuracy. I guess they figure people know the Remington 700 action is easy to customize, so their not worried about the accuracy, and they keep bumping the price up. Savage, is getting the reputation as being the most accurate out of the box rifle. Good luck and keep us posted.

Jake

Forgot to add, Bell & Carlson makes a really good looking, drop in, long range stock for the Savage. This stock really gives the Savage a very attractive look, and I believe the price is around $200 to $250. Keep us posted.

That's a nice group with the stock Remington. Good shooting!! Are you using factory or re-loaded ammo?

Jake

<font color="blue">Jake,

Handloads -- but it will shoot factory ammo into a little over an inch with regularity. I'm very happy with it -- plus due to the generosity of my best friend who is a gun dealer, I got the rifle &amp; scope for his cost, so it's just an awesome deal all around.</font>

Toss up for me, Have really good shooting remmies and realy good shooting savages. Savage, Remington, Cooper are really the only rifles I have dealt with that I would suggest. Of course Customs are on the list if you find one that was built by a good smith.

Every Remington I"ve owned and worked up handloads for was an easy .75" performer, and most times .5" with the pet loads. I would go with the Remington personally.

I tried a Savage 1 time. Probly be my last. Not a very good thing when you hear all the talk about Savages, then go buy one and it cant shoot a 3 shot group to save its life. Thats what happened to me anyways. I think I"ll stick with something of a little more quality, IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.