Rem 700 Sendero Customization

What are you trying to achieve with the customization? What do you intend to use th rifle for? Do you want to change calibers or stay with the winnie?

I have a Sendero in 264 Win Mag. New trigger, carve out material to free float the barrel (came from factory with the forend pushing up on the barrel), sent back to factory for head space issues, burr on crown and timing issues with ejection. Now it shoots 1/2 moa with timing issues. Going to get that cured shortly. Huskemaw 5-20x50 sits on top. It was a bastard child but now it's a game killing machine.
So it's kinda custom???

What are you trying to achieve with the customization? What do you intend to use th rifle for? Do you want to change calibers or stay with the winnie?
Just fishing for ideas anyone may have or how their upgrades worked. I like the 300 wm and how the fluted stainless barrel absorbs much of the recoil with the composite stock. I dare say the recoil feels like a 308...thinking about a cheek piece or a stock like a macmillan a5.

I have a Sendero in 264 Win Mag. New trigger, carve out material to free float the barrel (came from factory with the forend pushing up on the barrel), sent back to factory for head space issues, burr on crown and timing issues with ejection. Now it shoots 1/2 moa with timing issues. Going to get that cured shortly. Huskemaw 5-20x50 sits on top. It was a bastard child but now it's a game killing machine.
So it's kinda custom???
That's cool, I wanted to get a matching 264 win mag for the 300 wm I have but factory ammunition availability stopped me. Now that I am reloading more, I may reconsider. Think the 264 win mag may be one of the best all around calibers, better ballistics than the 6.5 Creedmore.

Had an original new 7RM Sendero that over the years has seen many upgrades. First mod was sending it to Benchmark for blueprint and rebarrel (same fluted contour).
A couple years later I added a Manners EH-1 with the mini-chassis and a NF NXS 3.5x15. It's been a game killing hammer since I've had it and despite owning many rifles it's still my favorite. After about 1500 rounds I'm about to rebarrel again with a Bartlein and keep shooting!
I've tried all the fancy new flavor of the day bullets mainly for personal entertainment but a sub MOA load with 160 Accubonds smokes everything in its path!
There's a lot of money in upgrades mentioned above but I've done them a little at a time and it's been a lot of fun learning as I go.

I have an early Sendero I in 300 RUM (I've always preferred this stock over the Sendero II). Over the years all I've managed to do to it is replace the trigger with a Trigger Tech, bed the action and install one of Ryan Pierce's round magnum 4 port muzzle brakes. I keep thinking of re-barrel and perhaps cartridge change but the thing shoots 1/2 MOA consistently so I can't make myself mess with it. I am now shooting 225 grain ELDM's at just below max and recoil is negligible as is muzzle jump. Just last week my friend's wife, who weighs a buck five, shot a 2" group at 500 yards on her first ever attempt at that distance. Only downside is my cartridge OAL is over 4" so I have to load one at a time.

I always want to mess with stuff but I force myself to leave this one alone :)

Last edited:
im not a huge fan of the large palm swell on the sendero or the angle of the grip. some guys like it ... But, i went with a new stock that fits me much better , epoxied some pillars in there , then did a full bed job

This is how I do them:
Pull barrel, throw recoil lug in bin. Blueprint the action, hone the lugs once everything is trued.
Re-barrel with original barrel, or new, after machining barrel shoulder to suit Tubbs 1/4" thick recoil lug.
Tape up front, sides and bottom of recoil lug, wax everything up well and skim bed the action and full bed the recoil lug.
Once cured, strip trigger assembly, replace with Calvin Elite trigger. Make any adjustments required, go shoot it.
I have a custom shop 5R here unfired with the new HS-Precision stock sans palm swell, not liking it, so I need to replace it with an old style. Only dry fired it so far, needs trigger replaced ASAP and bedding done, hope it's a shooter after that.
If it isn't I will do the above to it too.

Edit to add: I do not use the stock bottom metal, I swap them out so often I forget I do it. Lol. I use PT&G stainless bottom metal, even on VSSF II models. If it's a CM model I cerakote them black.

Cheers.

Last edited:
gbett I hunt with Nosler 140 Accubonds. It's a game dropper for sure. For steel I shoot the SMK 120 at 3400 FPS. Wow!
This rifle doesn't mess around.
It's timing issue is pesky but I'll have that cured shortly.
The rifles with the serial number starting with RR can be stinkers. Mine is RR.
I've gotten used to the palm swell and don't give it a second thought anymore.
I really like it and packed it all over the west this past fall.

Both my Sendero SF2 rifles shot well enough all I did to them starting out was a Timney trigger. (One in 264 Win Mag, other in 300 Win Mag)
I found I liked the B&C stock better than the HS Precision, after shooting my custom 300 Win Mag LR, (just fits me better?) so I swapped my Sendero 300 into a B&C that came on my 30-06 LR. The 30-06 now wears an HS Precision stock.

gbett100, So 3/4 MOA, is that with factory ammo or best you can do with hand loads? If that is factory ammo, I'd say start reloading. If it's hand loads, you can start modifying or looking at what may be going on with the rifle if you know it's not you.
MagnumManiac gave good advice if that's the case.

Just fishing for ideas anyone may have or how their upgrades worked. I like the 300 wm and how the fluted stainless barrel absorbs much of the recoil with the composite stock. I dare say the recoil feels like a 308...thinking about a cheek piece or a stock like a macmillan a5.
An aftermarket trigger, McMillan stock (my personal favorites are the M40 and Scout models) with pillar bedding and you should be set.

Both my Sendero SF2 rifles shot well enough all I did to them starting out was a Timney trigger. (One in 264 Win Mag, other in 300 Win Mag)
I found I liked the B&C stock better than the HS Precision, after shooting my custom 300 Win Mag LR, (just fits me better?) so I swapped my Sendero 300 into a B&C that came on my 30-06 LR. The 30-06 now wears an HS Precision stock.

gbett100, So 3/4 MOA, is that with factory ammo or best you can do with hand loads? If that is factory ammo, I'd say start reloading. If it's hand loads, you can start modifying or looking at what may be going on with the rifle if you know it's not you.
MagnumManiac gave good advice if that's the case.

3/4 MOA is with factory Federal 165 grain bullets, used those for sheep hunting in NM, mule deer and elk. Have been prepping cases for reloading, we'll see how much better the sendero can do if winter will cooperate. The timney I installed is money, very crisp and smooth. Think the stock idea is a good one, thanks to all for the input!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.