Rem 700 300 win mag extractor failure

MtnMagic

Finally made my 1st trip to the range with my brand new rifle. It is a Rem 700 5R Milspec chambered in 300 win mag. It is topped with a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50.

I set up a target at 50 yds. and fired the 1st round. 2" low and 1" to the right. Made scope adjustment and fired round #2. This time 4" low and 2" right. OOPS dialed everything backwards. Made adjustments again and fired round #3. Now we are getting somewhere. Just low and good left to right. Opened bolt and cartridge stayed behind. Closed bolt again and reopened still no cartridge. Tried one more time and nothing. Used my cleaning rod and pushed the spent cartridge out with minimal effort. So I removed the bolt and inspected it and the spent brass, everything looked OK so I chambered a fresh cartridge and attempted to extract with no luck. With the bolt open I raised the muzzle end and the live round dropped right out. I tried this again with the same result. Cased the rifle and headed home.

So in summary 1st trip to the range with my new set up was 3 round through it and what appears to be an extractor failure.

Ammunition used was brand new Federal Premium Safari with 180 gr. Nosler Partition bullets.

We'll see what Remington has to say Monday Morning.

My new Sendero did that to me twice on the first 20 rounds I fired through it. I noticed it happened when I opened the bolt soft/slowly so the spent round wouldn't go flying. Not saying you have to be aggressive with it, I just stopped opening mine extra slow, and havent had that issue. I was breaking in the barrel with .300 Win Mag 150 Gr Rem Core-Lokt.

Great Set up by the way. I topped my Sendero off with the Vortex Viper PST 6x24x50. Awesome piece of glass!

Same thing to me twice, all within 20 rds and on a hunting trip. This was after returning to Remington the first time. I hate carrying a **** cleaning rod to knock the cases out.

However, seems some people here have never heard of it happening ever and do not believe it happens.

For what it is worth, do not waste your time with the Rem bolt. Send it to rem to get repaired, order a Pacific Tool and guage bolt and with M16 or sako extractor and when the Rem bolt gets back, you can sell it for $125-150.

This is perfect reason to not waste the time and money on a trying to tweak a Remington action for a hunting rifle.

Go custom actions on the next build and do not look back. Reliability is to often sacrificed with remington bolts.

BH

Have use many 700's in the past and never had this happen until I bought a 338 win APR from the Rem custom shop. The extractor failed on the third shot.

Contacted Remington today and they want me to send them the rifle for inspection and repair. I will give Remington one opportunity to make it right, then I will look to other alternatives. After reading all the reports of similar issues with similar rifles, I have no confidence Remington will be able to achieve a permanent fix.

I would love to hear success stories from others who have encountered this problem and what the most viable and inexpensive permanent fix options are.

I am intrigued by the option of a custom bolt. I have no experience building a custom rifle and would appreciate any input including rough cost estimates.

I purchased this set up thinking I would be able to achieve excellent accuracy and performance without breaking the bank. I'm over 2K into this, with rifle, scope, base, rings, etc. I'm OK with spending the money, and still within my budget, but when I pay for top quality products I expect top quality performance.

MN

I wouldnt send them crap unless you have to. If you have a good smith in the area they can correctly install an extractor in few minutes. My rem bolts have either Sako or M-16 style pinned extractors.

Like mentioned you can get PTG Kiff bolt turned to size (tighter fit) with a pinned extractor and sell the rem bolt. I don't bother doing this untill a custom barrel goes on and make it part of the build.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.