Reloder 16, plusses/minuses?

JakeC

I'm going to be starting a new load and I need to finally branch out from my beloved H4831sc. It's just too slow for this project, so I need to get into the mid range of things. This is in a 7 saum.

H4350 and rl16 are popping up locally and online but I don't think I'll have time to monkey with both on this project. Has anyone had trouble getting accuracy with rl16? Who has compared them neck and neck? For my season this fall the additional speed will be valuable, but I also can't trade that speed for inaccuracy. I tried RL 17 in the past and couldn't get it to shoot under 1.25 moa ever, where 4451 and h4831 I could easily get into .7 and .6 with the same gun. I knew a lot less back then, and that was a different barrel and cartridge, but when you're comparing it to something as bombproof as h4350 the bar gets pretty high.

Essentially I've pounded the internet this morning and can't get a straight answer. Anyone want to reassure me or scare me off? Thanks in advance.

I did say 7 saum, I didn't say hammer 140 AH. Sorry didn't think it would matter, I'm looking for very general positive or negative experiences by people who've used both.

Excellent. RL 17 was a turd in my old 6.5cm with 3 different bullets, that's part of why I was worried. Thanks.

RL16 is the best powder in its burn rate. Temperature, accuracy. Pressure/velocity. It is a tad more dirty than H4350, but that's the only downside. They are about .2-.5 grains apart for speed.
With better fill I gather. Thanks. Yeah the temperature comparisons are pretty nuts, and that's a big deal to me too.

Both H4350 and RL16 will work fine in the saum.... H4350 will be much cleaner burning and go longer between cleanings, very accurate powder...RL16 will generate a little more velocity, temp sensitivity second to none, need to be on your cleaning game, very accurate powder.....RL16 seems to be a little harder on barrels based on my experience.

Look at H4350SC or Varget. Temperatures Extreme are the lowest. Most of the long range match shooter use H4350. It good all day If your barrel length is on the short side, then the Varget should be a good bet. Reloader 16 is one step above H4350 on burn rate. Here 2 charts.

Attachments

• POWDER BURN RATE (COLOR).pdf
    417.7 KB · Views: 212
  • EXTREME RIFLE POWDERS.pdf
    145.9 KB · Views: 179
IME, it's everything 4350 is, with less temp sensitivity and higher velo. I haven't had a problem with cleaning.

I'm going to pick up an 8lb'er this week. It's good that it's showing up again.

RL16 is a double base (contains nitro g) extruded powder with slightly less density than the single base 4350's. RL16 is a good choice when a max charge of any of the 4350's results in much unused space in cartridge. Being a double base slightly higher velocites may be obtained vs, single base powders. RL16 is touted as being temp change resistant but I have not used it in temps over 85F so no personal info on that.

Burn rates vary from caliber to caliber. For example a max charge of H4350 in my .22-250 is 35.5 grains for 3250 fps with a 75 ELDM. Using the same everything else, the max RL16 charge is 34.7 for the same velocity but volume filling appears to be about the same. I have found RL16 maxes out at lower charges than H4350 or other 4350's in the .22-.250.

I also use 46.5 grains of RL16 in my 10 twist 6mm AI with 87 VMax bullets. Fill is almost to shoulder and velocities are real zippy at 3,400 fps. I would expect 3600 fps using RL16 with 75 VMax's.

RL16 should be a close to ideal powder in the 6.5 Creedmoor. I use 42.0 grains of RL16 with 140 Barnes Match Burner bullets for velocities in the 2700 fps range, same fill but about 1.5 grains less powder than H4350.

My exp with the two was RL-16 was a tad slower burning than H4350 and was bulkier but doesn't mind being a little compressed. I was loading 30-06 and RL-16 couldn't match H4350 for speed behind a 180 but when I went to a 200 RL-16 gave better velocity. Both were quality powders and gave good accuracy

I had a problem with double base powders a great many years ago now. I don't just them, but in a very limited bases.

Reloder 16 is a great powder! Fantastic temperature stability and superb accuracy. I got slightly better velocity in load development in 6.5CM and 280AI than with H4350 but only 40-50 fps. I consider both of these gold standard powders in my book - but to answer your original question- reloder 16 is very accurate and might get you 50 fps gain in velocity. Might consider Reloder 23 if you can get it and you want more velocity?