reloading for wildcat cartridges!

I have been reloading for a 6.5WSM. The standard load that I have been using is 65.2 grains of H1000 and a 140gr Berger Hunting VLD bullet. This particular combination produces consistent velocities (2840 fps) and consistent groups (3/4" @ 100 yds) from my Ruger Mark II Weather Warrior. However I would like to experiment with other load combinations. I was wondering that since I know that 65.2 grs of H1000 generates 2840 fps can I look at the reloading manuals and use a given powder that generates this same speed and be safe in doing so?

For instance, Sierra's manual list 65.3 grs of H1000 for the 270 WSM which produces 2850 fps and 59.1 grs of RE-19 does the same. So is it safe for me to use the equivalent amount of 59.1 grains of RE-19 for my 6.5 WSM? Or are their other methods that you can use to find a starting point for load development?

I have had others suggest that if I use the data for the 270 or the 7mm WSM and simply back it off 10% it should work fine. It's the "should" that bothers Me:rolleyes:

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Some people reload so they can shoot more, Others shoot more so they can reload! Either case have fun and keep on shootingun)

Shoots For Fun

No the bores are too different between 26 & 27cals to correlate.
You need to determine your wildcat's H20 capacity, and compare loads with other similar capacities using the same bullet & powder, before venturing at all from there.

For example, maybe your 6.5WSM matches a 6.5x55, or 6.5x284, or 264(I don't know without looking it up). Which ever matches in capacity, look for loads from there. And yes, back off a bit to begin.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.