Redding seating post sticking to accubonds

ohiohunter

First time using my redding micro seater and when I extract the round, the bullet sticks. I am assuming it is the accubond getting stuck in the seating post. I need to figure a way to hone it out or order a new one. Or could it be something else? Any remedies?

Is this a new die? If so it needs to be degreased well with alcohol or brake cleaner or something like that. If all of that was done, make sure the tip of the seater where the bullet tip was seated is degreased as well.

I bought it used, I will clean her up and see what happens on our next round of LD. Thanks

May I suggest you dismantle the seating stem from the die, take an Accubond and place it in the seater plug, turn the bullet a few turns with some pressure on it and then look at the marks from that bullet in comparison to one of the ones that stuck in the die. Also make sure it's the sides of the bullet, not the tip that's touching the seater plug.
A good rinse out with brake clean or Shellite with get everything squeeky clean.

Cheers.
gun)

Well originally the loads were not compressed, but my buddy said they need to be seated deeper. So I seated the two heaviest loads and they compressed, but while I was feeling out my die depth (basically just touching the post) the bullet was sticking to the post again.

I cleaned it pretty good with alcohol, visibly there wasn't much to clean, and there was no change in "stickiness". The marks on the bullet seem more apparent than other dies, but do not suggest I am bottoming out the tip. I would be able to see it, these are white tipped accubonds.

I thought about neck tension, but it isn't terribly high. I'm loading factory new lapua brass.

One thing is foe sure. Pressure is what is causing the stick. Is the case mouth prepped correctly with inside of the mouth reamed? Neck tension? Compressed load? Whatever is causing the pressure is the culprit.

One thing is foe sure. Pressure is what is causing the stick. Is the case mouth prepped correctly with inside of the mouth reamed? Neck tension? Compressed load? Whatever is causing the pressure is the culprit.

I didn't touch the cases, just loaded them. From what I can measure the inside of the case mouth is .305

I did just pull the post and was able to make the accubond stick w/ hand pressure, and not much. I tried on some barnes and it was a less sticky.

Also, there is a noticeable ring on the bullets, not a thin ring but a rough wide ring.

Do you think the bullets are too long after the ogive for my current stem?

Bevel the inside of the case with a rcbs case neck prep tool. It is a shot in the dark. I always prep them this way. It keeps the neck from scarring the bullet on the press in. It definitely takes some of the pressure off the ogive. I seriously doubt this is your complete problem. Are you lubing the inside of the neck with MICA? This is another step people skip. It is intended to lube the neck on the sizing process. It also helps on the stress of the bullet on the way in. I purchased mine from midway years ago. If you do not have on they cost $15 or there abouts. Anything you can do to keep the pressure off the bullet will help.

I don't lube inside the necks, never have and this little hiccup won't make me start. When its time to load some more with this die I will see if a 7mm post makes a difference. In the mean time I'm going to call redding.

For some reason the marks on the bullet are not consistent with same brand different caliber dies, the stem may have been altered. It looks as though I fine grit sanded a 1/16th inch ring around the bullet tip. I'll post a picture when I get home.

.305" is a little tight on the neck tension, not greatly, but I prefer .306"-.3065". You can swap expanders, or buy a bushing die that will allow you to get the exact amount of neck tension you desire.
The bullet sticking has me a little puzzled, is it possible you have a VLD type seater plug?

Cheers.
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.