Question Regarding new Ar 10 build medium range gun

william101

Did I just make a mistake when I pulled the trigger on a PSA 18' 7.62x51 CHF FN Barreled upper for 599.00?
Will I get acceptable accuracy for 500-600 yard shots? Thanks for any help

it depends on what you mean by acceptable accuracy. You probably won't set any records but that set up should be fine. I have a PSA ar-15 kit and it is great. Remember, you need to find the bullet your rifle likes to shoot. If you plan on shooting Wolf or something similar you might not like the accuracy but if you feed it Gold Metal Match the accuracy might suprise you. I have heard very good results on the PSA 308 uppers but haven't shot one myself. There is nothing wrong with the FN barrel.

You will likely get acceptable accuracy especially if you take he time to work up a load. Biggest issue with PSA ar10 uppers are they don't fit all 308 lowers.

I picked up one of their stainless 18" AR10 uppers and put a Vortex Diamondback HP 4X12 w/BDC reticle on it. Zeored it with Federal fusion MSR 150 gr factory ammo. Chronoed it at around 2820 fps which lined up at 200 to 500 yards on the BDC hashes.

I held for 200 on the 8" plate and got a ding. Did the same thing out to 300 and 500 with first round hits. Shot some 5 shot groups at 100 after that and was under 2 MOA which was better than I expected for what I bought it for.

I'm not a huge gas gun guy and that was the best experience I've had with a plug and play upper

Got two friends that bought these exact rifles and with hand loads they consistently shoot under MOA. One was running 165 Sierra Game Kings and the other was running 125 Nosler BTs I don't know the load but both killed a few deer between 100 and 300 yards with them one shot one kill this season.

I don't have any experience with their 308's but I do with their AR-15's my brother has two that will shoot sub moa with the right load and mine threw 3" groups at 100yds no matter what I fed it. I wouldn't let that deter me however your still getting into a AR-10 platform gun cheap and can always re-barrel to a premium barrel if yours doesn't shoot.

Little late to the show, but I have a PA10 in .308. I've installed an adjustable gas block and got to work tuning it. FGMM 168s will print a 3/4-1 inch group at 200 yards. I still feel like it needs a heavier buffer, possibly a heavier spring.

i'll give you a reference point.
i have an armalite ar-10(t) 24" bbl
factory stock, free float front end, scope, their match trigger.
175's are 1/2" at 100, best group was .38"
won a club 100 yard "hunting"rifle match with it.
it is about 20 years old.

I own a PSA 10. I have read horrible things about them but have never experienced any problems with mine. I did replace the trigger on it though.Shoots consistently out to 500 which is as far as I have stretched it. It runs well and has never jammed yet. I did kill a elk with it and a 168 SMK at 308 yards! Works very well for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.