Question about the .257 Banshee?

G

The .257 Banshee is the 6.5 x 68S necked down to .257 and improved. The case capacity is 92.0 grains of water to the top of the neck.

There is information out there on the internet but you might have to use another search engine. I even found loads.

Regards.

I figure that I should have posted the loads at least. Here's the link:
http://www.thehunterslife.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-6041.html

[ 09-12-2004: Message edited by: Crispin Goodall ]

A well built Banshee when doing your part should put 100 gr. Ballistic Tips @ 3900-3950 from a 30" bbl into 1" or less, (3 shots) or a 110 gr. Fowler LD @3800-3850 same 1" or less at 500 yds. I've built 5 guns that would do this. Lilja bbl. 1-10 twist. Both on Rem and Savage actions.
cool.gif

Thanks Guys it sounds like they are very close to performance, but the .257 STW may be what I want I think for the cost of brass and not having to fire form sounds a little better to me..has anybody here had Pac-Nor do a .257 STW if so please comment..prices are good but just wondering about the reamers they use ...I just recieved a Rem 700 that I sent them to do in .223 AI still have not shot it yet still needs beded and butt pad installed have fire formed some brass and evrything looks good measured the throat and it is short just like I wanted so they do seem to do good work. but anymore info on the .257 STW chambering would be great. Thanks Guys for the fast replys ..ohh yeah one other thing I will be converting a Rem 700 original chambered in .300 WM will I need any work done to the feed rails for the .257 STW to feed proper? Thanks Keith

Kac1345,

Your Rem action in 300 Win Mag will work perfectly as is for the 257 STW and should feed just as smoothly.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

That's right, the 6.5x68s case, hugely improved. It is an oddball case.
If you wanted more info there is a great discussion and JGS reamer print for it in 'Precision Shooting's - Reloading Guide' cr1995.
The STW would be easier in a sense, provided there is no shoulder improving in your plan. The barrel will barely survive fireforming.

This is where Lazzeroni comes in.
Even simpler than wildcatting. Just write a fat check and wait for brown.

I do hope you realize that these are hunting cartridges. They will not handle much bench shooting. Since a good system includes both, I would suggest(just my opinion), that you consider a Savage as your platform.
Either from Lazz, or your own. You can order & switch barrels on these yourself. Hell, the barrels would be cheaper than your ammo!
This way your always up & running.

Hey guys just wondering if somebody could explain to me what the .257 Banshee is based off of (Case) shoulder degree ect..also if there is any ifo on the web on it did a quick search but really didn't come up with much.. You guys have me seriously wanting to build another .257 hot rod.. and was just thinking if the Banshee is shorter it may be a easy conversion for a Rem 700 Action.. I know the .257 STW will work as well and from what I understand they are very close to perfomance..but what usually will give better accuracy? I know that there alot of variables in that equation but it seems like most short fat cases are just a bit more accurat or atleat have more potential. Thanks Keith

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.