Preference points

OFtrash

An elk hunt is on my bucket lists but confused about the preference point system and choosing outfitter. Just curious do you accumulate preference points before applying for a license?

My observation is that each state is different and within each state; each hunt unit has different odds. A good outfitter will let you know how to proceed and if you are not drawn they will offer you refund of any deposits or a spot on the next season. Websites like gohunt offer good descriptions of units and points for each state/hunt unit for each animal species (and draw odds). For example, on some units a nonresident might have a 90% chance of drawing a tag without any preference points but since the land is almost all privately owned you will not be able to hunt without permission (either through landowner or via outfitter). Some other resources are "huntingfool" and "bookyourownhunt"

Short answer is 'yes', in most instances you need to accumulate preference points before applying for a license. Although some states will give you a point if you apply for a license and don't draw.
Can you purchase points or do you have to buy a license first in Wyoming?

You can purchase points. The time frame for doing that is July 1 to the end of October. So you have some time. That will be after the license drawing so you'll get a better idea on how many points it takes to draw the unit you're interested in.

You can purchase points. The time frame for doing that is July 1 to the end of October. So you have some time. That will be after the license drawing so you'll get a better idea on how many points it takes to draw the unit you're interested in.
^^^This^^^ and you gain a point if you are not drawn. Potential for two points a year. The data on draw odds is available without paying for it. If you want to pay a little Go Hunt, OnX, and a couple others have the same data available. If you are going to use an outfitter I would determine what ones ASAP, so you know what units they hunt in for this year. They should know the draw odds for their units. Wyoming changed a bunch of their tag quotas so look that up also as it may apply to your hunt.

Actually, you can not get 2 points per year, only one. If you get it from an unsuccessful draw, you're disqualified from purchasing one that year. If you don't get it after the draw, you can apply during the July/Oct. period.
I stand corrected by a nice person. I was posting out my hind end. I just checked my emails, and the first one on 07/21/23 says very clearly and a reminder to apply as for Elk, Deer, Antelope do not gain a point if not drawn.

Thanks. Im looking at going in Wyoming. I know a new law goes into effect for next years tag drawing.
Good luck… If you have zero points it could take a decade to draw a general elk tag unless you're willing to jump to special pricing. Nobody knows how the new pricing is going to affect the draw.

It's a tough time to get into the western game.

My recommendation would be to go after doe antelope or mule deer first. Go unguided. A DIY trip for something like that can be done fairly cheaply minus gear. The tags aren't going to be expensive and relatively speaking available for someone with zero points.

That trip you can figure out your gear, logistics, etc. Then maybe try an a relatively easy to draw elk hunt or CO OTC.

I've never done a guided elk hunt, but I could imagine even with a guide there is still a learning curve.