Practice reamer?

• Thread starter Deleted member 46119
  • Start date
Is there such a thing?

I don't know of any thing called a "Practice" reamer, But there are practice chambers.

I recommend finding a used or take off barrel (Preferably stainless) and setting it up in the lathe.
find a reamer (A good one is recommended so you can see the results when you do it right).

A good chamber doesn't need polishing so cut some of the shank (One thread at a time) and cut a new chamber and repeat this process until you have a chamber that has no defects.

It just takes practice and craftsmanship

Hear is a link to a good gun smithing book That will help.
http://www.mansonreamers.com/Current catalog/May 2013 Catalog.pdf (Page 25).

J E CUSTOM

I don't know of any thing called a "Practice" reamer, But there are practice chambers.

I recommend finding a used or take off barrel (Preferably stainless) and setting it up in the lathe.
find a reamer (A good one is recommended so you can see the results when you do it right).

A good chamber doesn't need polishing so cut some of the shank (One thread at a time) and cut a new chamber and repeat this process until you have a chamber that has no defects.

It just takes practice and craftsmanship

Hear is a link to a good gun smithing book That will help.
http://www.mansonreamers.com/Current catalog/May 2013 Catalog.pdf (Page 25).

J E CUSTOM
Have the book. Have not cracked it yet. Have some take offs. Watching for more.

Best reamer I have to use is the 277/26-Nosler as I will never make another one but I don't have a 277 take off barrel yet.

Cut a test piece all of the time. I will take a piece of a blank somebody cut off or I have cut off and ream it or cut a thread pattern I havnt done before to check the fit in the action and make adjustments if needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts