Powder and Temperature sensitivity for hunting big game, What's more important? Poll

Powder and Temperature sensitivity for hunting big game, What's more important?

• Ballistic program compensates for temp sensitivity, need more speed/energy for down range yds/kills

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't use Ballistic programs, so I use stable powders

• I use a stable powder and I'll give up an extra 150yds of speed/energy range to do so

• I hunt inside 500yds so temp sensitivity is a non issue

• I test all my loads for temp/speed, I've got my dope. I take the extra speed/energy

• I test all my loads for temp/speed, I've got my dope. I take the stable powder

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

coop2564

For most hunting purposes do you care if you have a 40fps stable swing vs a 100fps sensitive swing if you can get 150-200 fps more from sensitive powder and gun groups equally well?

Run the ballistics at the max range you'll be hunting on the size game you'll be hunting and see if the vertical POI created by a 100fps difference in MV, added to the ES of your load will cause a poor hit on the animal. Then decide.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.