Point systems

Backcountry_IDN

Hey guys,

So ive looked on their websites, searched through this forum (maybe i missed it)....

Help me understand the point systems in Oregon, Utah, Montana, Colorado, and Arizona.

I'm in Idaho. I understand the Wyoming point system. But I'm looking at buying preferemce points and just preference for the next so often in order to get into some great tags.

Honestly, this isnt just for Elk, I just didnt know where else to post it.

Help me understand. Ive tried looking at Utah and Oregon's sites and still dont understand.

Mainly asking, can I just make a profile without buying a license and just buy preference points as of right now.

Thank you and I apologize for my ignorance.

I appreciate it. Thanks
Message_1540256920856.jpg

I'm not a expert, but I can speak to CO a little bit.... related to elk ( I think deer is the same). When you apply in the spring (early Apr deadline), you make your hunt selections (1st choice, 2nd choice,...) if you don't get drawn you get a Preference Point (Point) for that year. You also have the option to make your 1st choice as a Point to use later, then make your other selections (2nd choice, 3rd...)

If you hunted in the CO the prior year, they do not charge you for the Point, if didn't hunt CO the prior yr they charge you $40 for the point. The spring application is the only opportunity to purchase a Point in CO.

I hope that helps some.

I'm not a expert, but I can speak to CO a little bit.... related to elk ( I think deer is the same). When you apply in the spring (early Apr deadline), you make your hunt selections (1st choice, 2nd choice,...) if you don't get drawn you get a Preference Point (Point) for that year. You also have the option to make your 1st choice as a Point to use later, then make your other selections (2nd choice, 3rd...)

If you hunted in the CO the prior year, they do not charge you for the Point, if didn't hunt CO the prior yr they charge you $40 for the point. The spring application is the only opportunity to purchase a Point in CO.

I hope that helps some.

Thank you! Is there a way to just buy a point? And no 2nd or 3rd choice?

In Oregon you have to buy a license. Then you can apply for a preference point only or apply for a hunt. If you do not draw your first requested hunt you will get a point. If you just apply for the point you cannot draw a hunt that year but will get your point.

If you want to hunt western Oregon you may buy an otc tag if unsuccessful in the draw. Application dates are February 10 for spring bear and May 5th for all others. You can google Oregon tag draw points and see how many points it takes to draw a hunt. 80% of all tags go to top points. So 20% can be drawn by anyone. In my unlucky experience of applying over 30 years I have to have max points to draw. Never been a 20%er.

In Oregon you have to buy a license. Then you can apply for a preference point only or apply for a hunt. If you do not draw your first requested hunt you will get a point. If you just apply for the point you cannot draw a hunt that year but will get your point.

If you want to hunt western Oregon you may buy an otc tag if unsuccessful in the draw. Application dates are February 10 for spring bear and May 5th for all others. You can google Oregon tag draw points and see how many points it takes to draw a hunt. 80% of all tags go to top points. So 20% can be drawn by anyone. In my unlucky experience of applying over 30 years I have to have max points to draw. Never been a 20%er.

Man thats too bad!

So if I only want a preference point, I still have to buy a license?

Yes you still have to buy a license here in Oregon. In some states don't you get some of you your money back. Only if you are unsuccessful. Sorry don't mean to horn in on your post but I thought some states gave you your money back except for a application fee. Sorry if I got out of line. Have a great night

Yes Oregon requires a license purchase for preference points. Low tag numbers go to NR, depending on quality and species a lot of licenses may be bought for no opportunity.

Utah is a little better, if you play it right one license can cover 2 years.

HARPERC. So I makes a difference at what time of year you buy your license. In Oregon and Idaho your licenses are good from Jan. 1 till December 31. How does Utah work. Thank you

Buy your license, and apply toward the end of the application cycle one year. Then apply early with the still current license the next.

'we' have one in Utah, it stinks, supposedly random but has a crazy point system that is arcane at best, bought off at worst

The part that irritates me the most is you have to purchase a license before putting in for a draw permit which I do that regardless. Then with that license you can put in for the draw of a special permit, select one unit for the permit draw and a back up unit for the draw. Then you have to wait for the annual draw and see if you are successful

Some seem to get draw permits regularly, others like me get nothing.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.