Opinions on Sightron scope

I consider the Sightron one of if not the toughest scope made. They use a proprietary elevation/windage adjustment system that is extremely recoil resistant. I have a cheap model Sightron on a little Contender carbine 30/30 that came off a friend's 45/70 rifle and it didn't shake loose on that. Though I don't own any of their higher priced scopes I have looked through them and find them to be equal or better than the competitors glass compared $ for $. I can't speculate on the tracking but have never heard any complaints about them. HTH

I have a Sightron SIII on a 300wm shooting 208 Amax bullets. I have never had any issues with my scope and have hunted in some rugged areas. I have fallen on my gun several times and never lost my zero. The turrets seem to track very well. I have absolutely no complaints about Sightron.

I have a few Big Sky's and SIII. Both have the same glass but the SIII's turrets are hands and feet above the BS. Especially if you plan on dialing in. FWIW the LRMOA reticle is superb!

Where is it made?

How far do you plan on shooting?

Are you a target shooter or hunter?

Have you considered a VX-2 4x12x40 or a VX-3 4.5x14x40?

You'll never go wrong with a VX-2 3x9x40.

Keep in mind that big objective scope have to be mounted high.

I've known hunters who thought that they needed 3.5x10x50 scopes. To me, because of their mounting height, they did not provide an instant sight picture. One such hunter was amazed at how quickly my 4x12x40 acquired sight picture. But he told me that his 50MM objective was better at gathering light. I asked him if it came equipped with a light scooper. He looked at me with a perplexed look. I told him that scopes don't gather light.

This is merely my opinion: if you can spare the bucks and you need it, go German optics. If you want excellent quality glass, go Leupold.

I have lots of Sightron SIII No SII, I have zero problems.

I was just talking with someone who has a SIII 10-50x60 on a 50. Says it stays together.

Today I did a little "playing" with my SIII 8-32x56. I put it in Burris Signature Zee rings, with +20 MOA added on top of the rails 25MOA. This lets me reach 400 yards with my 22LR, I'm not kidding, I reached 400 yards, dialing 72 MOA up on the SIII. I dialed back down, checked my 50 yard zero. Good to go.

Here is an idea of the tracking. 275 yards = 59MOA, 300 yards 64 MOA. 385 yards 68MOA, 400 everything that't left.

Leupold, better glass. Starts to get more spendy.
Schmidt&Bender, wow good glass, very spendy.
Nightforce uber spendy.

There are lots of other options. Redfield, Nikon. More.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.