Opinions on new Bergara ridge 22-250 rifle

Remington92

Hey all I was wondering if could pick your brain about a new rifle coming out this year. Right now I've got a bergara Hunter 6.5cm and absolutely love it but have been waiting for a 22-250 for coyotes, well for 18 they're making them!! Instead of the hunter though the ridge caught my eye with a #5 barrel vs #3 contour plus a threaded muzzle. The only part I'm not sure about is the barrel length and twist. They'll be shipping with a 22" 1:9 twist. Is this too fast for most 55gr rounds? Also what sort of speed are y'all seeing with say a 69-70gr match king or Berger compared to more standard 55gr varmint rounds?

I like the idea of slinging higher bc bullets for longer range shots but don't want to lose too much of the laser beam trajectory 22-250 is famous for.

I agree with Canhunter35! The Shilen barrel on my custom 22-250 is getting tired so I think I am going to rebarrel with a 27" Bartlein & chamber it in a fast twist 22-250 Ackley Improved. Once upon a time I had a fast twist 22-6mm Ackley & it was an absolute laser beam.
Thanks, Kirk

These look like a very nice rifle if I'm in need of a new gun I will be purchasing one of these

Hey all I was wondering if could pick your brain about a new rifle coming out this year. Right now I've got a bergara Hunter 6.5cm and absolutely love it but have been waiting for a 22-250 for coyotes, well for 18 they're making them!! Instead of the hunter though the ridge caught my eye with a #5 barrel vs #3 contour plus a threaded muzzle. The only part I'm not sure about is the barrel length and twist. They'll be shipping with a 22" 1:9 twist. Is this too fast for most 55gr rounds? Also what sort of speed are y'all seeing with say a 69-70gr match king or Berger compared to more standard 55gr varmint rounds?

I like the idea of slinging higher bc bullets for longer range shots but don't want to lose too much of the laser beam trajectory 22-250 is famous for.

Lost interest when I got to the 22-inch barrel length part. Maybe I'm missing something, but why go to a higher-BC bullet, then defeat the purpose with a short barrel? Might as well just get a cheap pencil barrel .243....plus, the muzzle blast couldn't be much worse.

Most 55 grain bullets will shoot well in a 1:9 twist barrel. The 22" barrel may be a bit of a handicap velocity wise and will have more muzzle blast than the normal 24".

I can't speak to the Bergara but I built a 22 inch 1:8 3B Bart in 22-250 AI for the purpose of shooting with a can and not having a longer than normal barrel. To me it's about having a goal in mind and building or buying around that goal.

I'm running an 80 grain ELD at 3100 and getting .5 moa at 600 yards. Hard to beat from a simi-custom sporter weight rifle. It's brutal on yotes, hogs and deer with virtually no recoil and sounds like a 22 sub-sonic.

morning, I just had built a 22-250AI. 722 rem. action, finished
SS hart barrel to 28" #6 contour. timmey match trigger. custom
H&S combat tac stock. complete cerakote finish in sniper gray.
1-8twist. have not shot yet. this heat in TX. Pete Phiefer
Hempstead, TX. smithy. excellent work. a true artist. justme ghot tum

I see this is an older thread... Have you decided? I'll add another opinion for the 22' being short. I do understand purpose built guns. Just that if a manufacturer is going to change from a 1:14 or 1:12 standard to something that can use the other 50 percent of .224 bullets on the market, it might as well keep some velocity and go with a 24' minimum. I own a bergara b14 and am pretty happy with it for the most part. The faster twist will not hinder accuracy with the standard bullets. (competitive bench rest aside) I've seen too many reputable people prove that a faster twist will not lose much accuracy to a slower twist with lighter for cal bullets. I want a 22-250 pretty bad right now for coyotes and personally I'd rather buy a used or cheaper Rem700 for under 350 dollars and put a custom barrel on it.

I just picked one of these rifles up. It's a little heavier than I'd like it to be. I'm working up a load for the 75gr eld m in it if they won't work then I'll go with my old 52 gr bthp.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.