NV,UT or AZ TO BUILD POINTS?

midwesthunter

Me and a buddy are looking for another state to start building points in, we are currently building points in WY and CO. Mainly looking to build deer and elk points. We will want to do DIY hunts. Would like to be able to hunt for a decent animal every 3 years. Is this possible? Also thinking about maybe going after a long term tag something that may take 10+ years to draw for an exceptional animal. Any suggestions on this?

I don't believe AZ is the place you are looking for if hoping to hunt elk every three years. Plan on a 5-7 year draw for an archery Bull in a decent area. Archery cow can be drawn every 2-3 years. Lat season rifle for Bull about 6-10 years - depending on area. Cow rifle is 2-3 years.

Mule deer (no doe hunting in AZ) can vary greatly. Minimum 2-3 years for average area. Best areas 20-30 years. Archery is still OTC, except for best areas which are draw with same long odds as rifle.

Whitetail deer rifle (Coues variety) can be every other year for early and middle hunts. Primo late hunts in good areas usually require 4-5 years. OTC for archery.

If it were me, I would focus on CO for mule deer and for average bull. Utah or NM for better than ave. bull (It will still take several years to draw).

Building points in UT is the same as wizzing into the wind. I have 15 points in Ut and am no closer to drawing a tag than I was 15 years ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.