north idaho archery for elk

sil9mm

I'm having a problem getting the bulls to show themselves the last 40 yards. I hunt by myself and can call them in but just not that little bit to get a shot. I've tried both ground and treestand. I've used decoys and scents behind me.
Any help would be appreciated.

Try calling the opposite way the bull is to make you sound farther away, I sometimes cover the end of the call with a shirt to muffle the sound. Another way my friend uses and does work. When the bull first calls run towards him and get close as u can before you call. This can drive them crazy. I often quit bugling when I locate them and just use cow calls. I hunt north western montana and this works.

I hunt elk alot by myself also and have had bulls hang up too, I usually always call facing away from the bull to make it sound a little farther away, another thing if he is responding good to bugles dont be afraid to make a little noise, bulls in the rut dont just stand there and bugle, they are walking thru trees breaking sticks and rubbing there antlers on trees, I ve had alot of bulls hang up just out of range and all it took to set them off was grabbing a stick and rubbing on a tree simulating racking antlers, if they are bugling alot bugle right after you do it, if they aren't talking that much just rack the tree and wait

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.