nightforce scope querrie

Rum and not the liquid

had a chance to look through a nf 5.5 -22 x 56 at 5.5 it looked great but when i cranked it up to 22 a purple haze apeared to me thats bad optics (bit of experience in the film industry) is that normal i always thought they were well above average, kinda turned me off

lucas

I just got my hands on a 5.5-22X yesterday for the first time to look through one. I am considering buying one. I noticed the same thing. The sight picture was darker at full magnification. You may want to take a look at the tread I started yesterday. There is some good information there. Need help from the Nightforce crowd. Sorry, don't know how to post a direct link to the thread, but there is the title.
Steve

yeh had a quick read yesterday certinally not sumthing i look for in a scope im pretty sure my nikko sterling doesnt do it, dnt quote me tho.and thats certinaly not a top of the line scope by any strech

Absolutely love my NXS. Shot a whitnessed .367" three shot group at 300 yds. tonight. .243 ackley 105 A-max. Very clear and repeatable. Never have noticed any color difference at high power.

Tony.

I've done this with several scopes from many if not all of the major scope manufactuers---most recently at the Shot Show in Las Vegas in Jan. Some scopes/designs are worse than others at high and low mag (especially noticeable at high mag--you get some color dispersion. Results from some very respected names were surprising.

In my show notes, Nightforce was fairly low on the intensity and size of haze around the artificial light sources available at the show (cieling lights)--not the best but definitely not even close to the worst.

One thing to do to really test how well you will identify objects is to look at the resolution of the sope at low and high mag...how fine of detail will it resolve. I think Nightforce is up there, but only tests with something like a MIL-STD-150A or other standard side by side at similar mags will tell the whole story assuming the lighting conditions are the same for all scopes tested.

Just thinking out loud.

Matt

Hey mate might be actually clearer than you think,NZ looks a bit hazy from over here all that fog around them beautiful mountains.

I love Nightforce scopes. To me Nightforce Optics is one of the best bang for you buck scopes. Not sure why you see a Purple Haze. Nightforce is one of the most reliable scopes you will find on the market, great retilces, and the turrets are very well made.

Here is a video of me using a NF 3.5-15x50mm w/ the stranded turrets. It would have been really nice to have the High Speed Turrets in this match.
YouTube - Nightforce Optics NXS 3.5-15x50

YouTube - Nightforce Hi-Speed Turrets

Mike @ CST

Nightforce iscopes are excellent and I have never seen any purple are any other color haze around the edges of mine. I have owned 5 of the NSX's and one Benchrest model

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.