New to reloading which primers to use

"Buy once cry once" is term most of us have endured. Try to buy the best reloading tools you can first time, as you gain knowledge you will appreciate having better reloading tools.

Reloading manuals are great reads on how to reload as well. They provide best loads for their bullets. Plenty of reloading references on line as well.

Run search here for reloading safety and you will get tons of info.

Try to identify powders that work across multiple cartridges such as 4350 type powders.

Nosler:

Speer:

Alliant powder:

Hodgdon powder:

Sierra and Berger have great CS if asked for reloading data. Just ask and they will send it along.

Loads posted on the internet are rarely verified through pressure testing and they can be dangerous to use.

RELOADING SAFETY:
1- wear safety glasses
2- only one type of powder on bench at a time!
3- only one type of primer on bench at a time
4- NEVER start at max loads, work up every load
5- record reloading data for each load

Last edited:
I reload several calibers from 5.56 to .375 and have been reloading since 1971. I have used all major brands of primers and have never seen much difference, if any. Just LR or SR is the only basic difference. One thing I learned just last year is that the magnum large pistol primers,.44 mag, are the same specs as the large rifle. Have not tried them but was considering it when magnum rifle primers were extremely hard to find. That has not been a problem recently and when they became available I purchased 600 rounds.
As for the manual, I have a 1970's LYMAN publication and would recommend something much newer. I have not opened it much in the 15-20 years. I am a constant user of the NOSLER LOAD DATA on line service. Why NOSLER is because they show no bias to powder brands or primer brands and provide good solid data for accuracy and performance, and for almost all calibers. When I encounter a caliber that Nosler has no info on I turn to Hogdon's reloading site or VihtaVouri., Winchester also has a site and I recommend ALL of them.
Equipment: Follow the advice of others in the forum. Especially the ones recommending the same press and dies, i.e. RCBS with RCBS, Lyman with Lyman, etc. Other than the press and dies, case prep tools I have always used either Lyman or RCBS. RCBS has a great reputation and the one thing that stands out in their favor, at least with me, is that several years back I lost my small rifle powder measure tube and they sent me a new one, no charge. I've had this powder measure for 40 years and I recently found it in my .357 pistol die case.
Some of the essentials that you will need are a good scale, press, die for every caliber you use, case trimmer (nothing fancy), a tumbler, and I would recommend a primer pilot cleanout tool as well ( they are low cost and well worth it).
Hope I have provided you with some good advice and I enjoy reloading as long as it is not for competition purposes.

As stated above, the primer issue is pretty straight forward. For the reloading tools decision, I believe the "buy once cry once theory" applies but that is totally budget dependent. Lots of YouTube help on the process, tips, and tools. I've mentioned this before to a new reloader but Jim on BackfireTV does a really good job describing the entry level, mid level, and advanced level reloading set up choices and it's worth the watch. Welcome to the rabbit hole!

Recent Posts