New to reloading which primers to use

orangelightening

Hello all, i have a few questions. I am new to firearms. I am from Canada and just got my license last year. Due to the pandemic i am aware there's a shortage on reloading supplies but we've been hit bad especially here and still hard to come by, so as supplies pops up and comes available i'd like to purchase it while i can despite not knowing anything about reloading yet. I own a Tikka T3X CTR in .308 I am currently looking at purchasing some primers as they've finally come in stock online but i honestly don't have a clue which i should buy. I am looking at Federal 210 large rifle primers. However i also see 215. I was considering picking up the 210 but don't want to waste the money if they're not even the ones i need

Also second question. What is the best reloading manual that could help a noob such as myself learn. Last question which reloading brand would you recommend? i am not fully aware of all the reloading brands but i've been into cabelas looking around and they have lyman, and nosler which are the two brands i see most of, i'm sure there's tons of others. Thanks in advance and apologies for the rookie questions

Welcome to the site. When it comes to primers, get what you can find in large rifle. There is no need for large rifle magnum primers for a .308. Since you stated that you are not reloading yet, watch some you tube videos about reloading. Ultimate Reloader is a good place to start. As far as reloading equipment brands, they all work. Check the classified ads on here for used stuff to get started, or local classified ads. Good luck, be safe and remember that reloading is a fun hobby. Don't make it a chore.

Welcome to the site. When it comes to primers, get what you can find in large rifle. There is no need for large rifle magnum primers for a .308. Since you stated that you are not reloading yet, watch some you tube videos about reloading. Ultimate Reloader is a good place to start. As far as reloading equipment brands, they all work. Check the classified ads on here for used stuff to get started, or local classified ads. Good luck, be safe and remember that reloading is a fun hobby. Don't make it a chore.
Will definitely check those out. Cheers

As far as primers for a 308, you can choose Federal 210, Winchester WLR, CCI 200. Of course there are other brands like Remington.
Trusted brands for reloading presses, single stage, are Redding, RCBS, Lyman and Lee.
For dies and scales, Lyman, Redding or RCBS. Powder measures, same brands but there is also Harrel and others.
Just be aware that shell holders often work best on the same brands of presses, ie, RCBS shell holders with RCBS press, Redding with Redding etc, etc.

Cheers.

Hello all, i have a few questions. I am new to firearms. I am from Canada and just got my license last year. Due to the pandemic i am aware there's a shortage on reloading supplies but we've been hit bad especially here and still hard to come by, so as supplies pops up and comes available i'd like to purchase it while i can despite not knowing anything about reloading yet. I own a Tikka T3X CTR in .308 I am currently looking at purchasing some primers as they've finally come in stock online but i honestly don't have a clue which i should buy. I am looking at Federal 210 large rifle primers. However i also see 215. I was considering picking up the 210 but don't want to waste the money if they're not even the ones i need

Also second question. What is the best reloading manual that could help a noob such as myself learn. Last question which reloading brand would you recommend? i am not fully aware of all the reloading brands but i've been into cabelas looking around and they have lyman, and nosler which are the two brands i see most of, i'm sure there's tons of others. Thanks in advance and apologies for the rookie questions
First of all, I use magnum primers in all of my rifle loads. I have found the Federal GM210M, Large Rifle Magnum primers to be reliable and in my case readily available. With magnum primers, especially when starting to work up a load from scratch I have found that there is no difference, It also simplifies which primer to use without going broke buying a primer for this and a primer for that. I have also used Winchester and CCI primers with great success.

I have been reloading since 1972 and while having used Lyman and Redding equipment have pretty much gone to RCBS for all of my loading equipment, RCBS makes high-quality equipment at a reasonable price and backs it up with, so far over the years, a 100% warranty. If something breaks or doesn't work quite right, call them and it will be replaced on the spot.

As for manuals, I use a variety of manuals based on the type of bullet being loaded. For a how to do it manual, The ABCs of Reloading is a good guide, As well as the Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading. Since most of my reloading is done with either Sierra or Nosler bullets, I use the Nosler 9 and Sierra 6th edition manuals. I have found it best to use the reloading manual for whatever bullet you are planning to shoot.

Good Luck and Have Fun.

Welcome to the site. As far as reloading manual many years ago picked of a Hornady, but I like the Nosler site for quick start up recommendations. I used to only use their bullets, but know use many types. I would look up the manufacturers site for any bullet you may pick up. They will give you some starting loads with components.

I have a supply of CCI LRM primers do to living in Alaska where we hunt in te winter with temps going all the way down to -70 below I only use mag primers