new rod

Trickymissfit

Picked up a Loomis "short stick" in 7/8 weight a couple weeks ago, and this a serious business rod. The 7/8 weight rating means very little, and it really is much closer to a 9/10 WF rod. These rods are really rated in grains of weight instead of line weight, and you start your learning curve all over again. I started out using my go to triangle taper eight weight line loaded on a big Harris reel. Cast OK, but struggled to see 60 feet. Just couldn't get it to turn over well, and it wouldn't roll cast at all. (Wulff triangle taper is absolutely the best roll cast line on the planet) I switched reels to one loaded with a bass bug taper in eight weight, and started looking much better. Started seeing seventy foot casts right away, but the leader was the wrong size. I then (under advice) switched to 10WF line with a 1x nine foot leader. Thing is like a rocket, but the leader was wrong unless using four inch Zonkers. Tried 2x, and it was a different world. Made a few 80 foot casts, and can see 90 feet coming sooner than later. It now roll casts right back to the same spot (within a foot). Buddy has one, and have watched him make many cast with the entire line in the air!
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.