NEW Rimfire action by Zermatt Arms (formerly BigHorn Arms)

bwhitty, I bought a RimX/Lilja barreled action from orkan a few years ago. forgot all about this thread, or I woulda updated. I put it in a AG Privateer stock with TT diamond trigger and 4.5-18 LRTS in ARC M-10's. Same stock/trigger/scope brand as my .22. I added green paint to the AG stock and liked it so well, I re-did the .22 to match. I can't really say on target accuracy as I've never shot a paper target with it. It will but a full mag onto the washer under the bolt on my 100 yard gong, tho. And I can't remember ever missing a sparrow off the ridge of the barn 110 yards away.

IMG_3436.jpg

IMG_1062.jpg

IMG_E0771.jpg

IMG_8734.jpg

IMG_8643.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

and this the .22 since repainting the stock...
IMG_8499.jpg

IMG_8467.jpg

IMG_7600.jpg

IMG_7564.jpg

IMG_E7492.jpg

bwhitty, I bought a RimX/Lilja barreled action from orkan a few years ago. forgot all about this thread, or I woulda updated. I put it in a AG Privateer stock with TT diamond trigger and 4.5-18 LRTS in ARC M-10's. Same stock/trigger/scope brand as my .22. I added green paint to the AG stock and liked it so well, I re-did the .22 to match. I can't really say on target accuracy as I've never shot a paper target with it. It will but a full mag onto the washer under the bolt on my 100 yard gong, tho. And I can't remember ever missing a sparrow off the ridge of the barn 110 yards away.

View attachment 553055
View attachment 553056
View attachment 553057
View attachment 553058
View attachment 553059
View attachment 553060

and this the .22 since repainting the stock...
View attachment 553061
View attachment 553062
View attachment 553063
View attachment 553064
View attachment 553065

Nice looking rifles buddy!! I'm seriously contemplating building a 17 WSM on this action with a loather Walter barrel. I have the Savage B Mag in the factory laminated stock (bedded) with the heavy fluted barrel. Shot it again this weekend and that thing shoots like a **** shot gun. My Bergara 22 Mag Carbon shot a group a minute UNDER my WSM @ 100 in gusty conditions. On top of that, I have a 12 power scope with heavy crosshair on the 22 Mag and 20 power fine crosshair on the WSM. I'm done with that ***. Love the WSM, but absolutely hate that gun. Can't stand the cock on close and the ****** clips that don't feed right either.

What ammo are you using for the WSM? I have quite a bit of 20 and 25 grain Winchester ammo.

I had one of the first B-mags. Woudn't feed, woudn't fire, wouldn't extract, wouldn't eject. 2 trips back to Savage never really got it fixed. My brother liked it, so I sold it to him cheap. He finally got sick of dicking with it too, and traded it away. Kinda soured both of us on Salvage.....

My RimX likes the 20 gr AE best. Win and Hornady 20's next. I've heard that Federal and Hornady haven't renewed their contracts with Winchester, so Win might be the only game in town now.....

I had one of the first B-mags. Woudn't feed, woudn't fire, wouldn't extract, wouldn't eject. 2 trips back to Savage never really got it fixed. My brother liked it, so I sold it to him cheap. He finally got sick of dicking with it too, and traded it away. Kinda soured both of us on Salvage.....

My RimX likes the 20 gr AE best. Win and Hornady 20's next. I've heard that Federal and Hornady haven't renewed their contracts with Winchester, so Win might be the only game in town now.....
Good Morning...

Yep, same exact issues. I'm done with it... I am either going to build a custom one with this RimX action or forget the 17 WSM all together.

I have several hundreds of the Winchester 20 grain (yes, I too am hearing they are the only game in town). So, good to hear it shoots those well.

Thanks again for your time!

I have 2 different 17WSM's built on RimX's. One is a steel Lothar Walther prefit and the other is a TS Customs chambered carbon fiber. Both barrels have had very similar results, which isn't surprising as they are the same twist. The TS Custom CF barrel has shot tighter groups across all bullet weights.

15 grain bullets shoot well inside 150 yards, 150+ isn't as consistent. These would shine in a slower twist, I belive.
20 grain bullets are very accurate and explosive, the best of both worlds, if you will.
25 grain bullets have been the most accurate in both rifles, just not as explosive on small varmints.

300+ yard prairie dogs, consistently, with a rimfire, is a whole new level of fun. :)

Every single bullet/brand I've shot were Minute Of Prairie Dog.

I have 2 different 17WSM's built on RimX's. One is a steel Lothar Walther prefit and the other is a TS Customs chambered carbon fiber. Both barrels have had very similar results, which isn't surprising as they are the same twist. The TS Custom CF barrel has shot tighter groups across all bullet weights.

15 grain bullets shoot well inside 150 yards, 150+ isn't as consistent. These would shine in a slower twist, I belive.
20 grain bullets are very accurate and explosive, the best of both worlds, if you will.
25 grain bullets have been the most accurate in both rifles, just not as explosive on small varmints.

300+ yard prairie dogs, consistently, with a rimfire, is a whole new level of fun. :)

Every single bullet/brand I've shot were Minute Of Prairie Dog.
Thank you for the info buddy!

The WSM is a larger case than the HMR. Based off a nail gun cartridge, is what I recall. 15 Grain bullet in each; the HMR is around 2650 fps and the WSM 3350 (Lothar Walther barrel). So roughly 700 fps, give or take and depending on barrel lengths.

Edited after looking at my notes 🙃
17 WSM ammo was the Winchester Varmint X 15 grain "Lead Free"
17 HMR ammo was the Hornady 15.5 Gr. NTX

Last edited: