New Project... help me decide

Cruizin

So I have decided to built a gun off a savage action. It's a long action and I wanted to shoot deer and elk out to 1k with it or close to that. I would like to use some good brass like lapua or norma.

I was thinking about the 280 AI. Are there any other offerings that you guys can think of with these types of brass that will offer a little more horsepower?

I'm not really a fan of belted cases either....

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Ok well looks like I might be considering belted cases.

I ordered the stock from Stockade and starting to round up some parts. Need to get the barrel on order now...

I was thinking of trying something along the lines of this...

I would like to launch some of the longer bullets in this gun so I was thinking rather than make this for a long action cartridge what if I used a short action cartridge like the 300 WSM and use the heavier bullets. This way I should be able to fit some rounds in the mag without having to seat the bullets way down in the case.

Anybody do this or have experience with it?

I'm thinking I might have to purchase a new mag follower???

I would consider one of the WSM's. Like the 7mm or 300. They will run fine with your long action and bullets seated to the lands. Good selection of bullets.

Get ahold of Northland Shooter Supply for a Shilen or McGowan barrel with a quick twist.

What stock did you get from Kevin? I have the Pdog special and love it.

I'm looking at the 7mm wsm. The amax and sierra bullets have really good bc's compared to the 30 in the same weight.

162 gr. 7mm bc .625
175 gr. 7mm bc .608
180 gr. 300 bc .475

I might just have to settle with Win brass though since it looks like norma or lapua doesn't make cases for the 7mm wsm.

Last edited:
I'm looking at the 7mm wsm. The amax and sierra bullets have really good bc's compared to the 30 in the same weight.

162 gr. 7mm bc .625
175 gr. 7mm bc .608
180 gr. 300 bc .475

I might just have to settle with Win brass though since it looks like norma or lapua makes th 7mm wsm.

Don't forget the Berger 180g 7mm bc .698

Since you will need a custom barrel anyway what about a 7mm/300wsm? You loose a small amount of case capacity but gain neck length and Norma brass.

Cruzin, I would highly recommend the 300 WSM with a Bartlein Barrel. Their .30 Cal, 1-10 twist is performing extreamly well with 190 to 210grn bullets. The 300 WSM is a great cartridge. My friend has a nice 300 WSM, he uses the 190grn Berger VLD. His rifle is deadly accurate out to 1500 yards, with that bullet. He has a 30", 1-10 twist Krieger barrel, and he pushes them right at 2900fps. He can push them faster, however, he said his rifle likes the 190grn VLD at that velocity. He uses his rifle for long range deer and PDog hunting. He told me he hit a deer, at 1100+ yards with the 190grn VLD, and it went right to the ground instantly. Lunching the 190grn VLD out to 1100 yards, with a muzzle velocity of 2900fps, still has a velocity of 1417fps and 847pounds of energy. That's some good stuff. I would recommend a muzzle brake and 300 WSM Norma brass. Norma Brass is more expensive but it's worth every penny. Have fun and good luck with your build.

Last edited:
Ok you guys have me thinking now.

I'll have to check out the bergers in 7mm and 30 cal.

Who will chamber a savage barrel in 7mm/300wsm other than Pac-Nor?

How do you think 7mm/300wsm will compare with the 7mm wsm. How much slower will it be? Looks like there is only a .040" difference between the height of the shoulders between the 300 wsm and the 7mm wsm.

Ok you guys have me thinking now.

I'll have to check out the bergers in 7mm and 30 cal.

Who will chamber a savage barrel in 7mm/300wsm other than Pac-Nor?

How do you think 7mm/300wsm will compare with the 7mm wsm. How much slower will it be? Looks like there is only a .040" difference between the height of the shoulders between the 300 wsm and the 7mm wsm.

McGowan and Shilen will do the pre-fit Savage barrel for you. $309 will get you a 32" Stainless Match barrel from either supplier.

Here's a quote from 308nate about the subject.

I know it's not an Allanmag, but I would recommend a 7mm-300wsm set up for 180 Bergers.
reasons.....
#1~ cases available: Norma 270, Norma300, or the same in Winchester.
#2~ in a 28" barrel 3000FPS. is very do-able with 180's and 3100 is very easily achieved with 168's
#3~ this chambering feeds excellent out of the Kwik Klip from Cabelas set up as a long action.
#4~ burning only 65 grs. of powder allows me to do a lot more practice shooting, a little longer barrel life, managable recoil (especially with a brake), extreme accuracy, with good loads very capable of sub 2" groups at 600 yds., this may be argued, but I feel there is enough energy at 1200yds. for elk. Shot placement is important but it is equally important for the ultra mags.

My second recommendation would be the 7mmWSM, basically same as above, only winchester cases available. No necking up or down and in a pinch factory ammo, for close range is an option.

Just my .2

308Nate

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.